Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden or Daewoo ?

SSV8pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV- Manual Redhot
Wasn't sure where to post this thread.....

The holden range below the commodore is quickly becoming the Daewoo hand me downs - Barina, Viva and soon to be replaced Vectra (Tosca?).

I have mixed thoughts about this - when is a holden not a holden? But then I thought -the astra and vectra where also european hand me downs.

It would be a shame if the only true aussie holden was the commodore and stato. I guess my biggest dissappointment is that the daewoo ranges are not the latest models but typically 2 years old before they get rebadged by holden - also not sure of the quality aspect.

Anyone have any thoughts or views on this?

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Realisticly, Commodores aren't even Australian, they're just reshaped Opel Rekords/Senators/Omegas (VB-VL, VN-VS and VT-VZ) with imported engines (exception the alloytech V6)

Holden havn't had their "own" smallish car since the Torana (which originally still started life as an import), everything since has been an import or J car (Camira, Gemini), Pulsars as Barinas, Calibras as themselves

I can tell you why they're using the Daewoos though.. cost cutting, GM is losing bigtime on car sales, they're making their revenue from trucks among other things :eek:

buddyforu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VPII Executive
Actually, the last 'real' Holdens were the WB utes & Statemans that ceased production in 1984. The VE will be the first fully Australian designed and engineered Holden in 22 years. Oh and as for the Alloytech being the 'exception', this isn't the case either. Since 'Ions' collapse last year, Holden has been sourcing the blocks and heads from overseas...

V

VX_KN079

buddyforu said:
The VE will be the first fully Australian designed and engineered Holden in 22 years.

Wrong. The VE is based on the GM Zeta platform which hasn't been designed or engineered in Australia at all.

Nobody Actually

luxo barge
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 wm Caprice
VX_KN079 said:
Wrong. The VE is based on the GM Zeta platform which hasn't been designed or engineered in Australia at all.

GM Zeta platform
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Zeta is the original name for General Motors' mid-size rear-wheel drive automobile platform now referred to as the "Global RWD Architecture".

The architecture was originally engineered by Holden of Australia and was to debut in 2004 with the 2005 Opel Insignia, followed by the Holden Monaro and Pontiac GTO.

get it straight before you speak ****.....

buddyforu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VPII Executive
VX_KN079 said:

Actually, I'm not. Your'e wrong. Go off and check your facts before you post OK? :whistling

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
We played some big roles in development, but it almost got a big kick in the gut from North America when they decided they wanted to slow down development, but it's since resumed (duh :p). Zeta made it's first appearence in the European Opel Insignia concept so it's easy to see how this mix-up happened

Here's some other models they think will be using Zeta besides Holdens models:
- New Chev Camaro
- New Chev Impala
- New Chev Monte Carlo
- New Pontiac G8
- New Pontiac GTO

Last edited:

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
Info from a top ranking GM executive at the one of the European motor shows this year stated that the upmarket Commodores were likely to be built in Korea at its Daewoo facility. The new VE commodore will be (unusual in recent years) released in all variants simultaneously. Above posters are correct in that it is to be released based on the GM Zeta platform. This platform like the Epsilon platform is a world car platform but was scrapped last year with only Holden taking it up for the new Commodore. This design sees the steering rack placed in front of the front axle unlike the current Commodore where it is placed behind the axle line. This allows easier AWD versions while still mounting the steering gear on the cross member. GM USA scrapped their Zeta program when they started getting into financial difficulties made worse by the Delphi bankruptcy.

SSV8pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV- Manual Redhot
Holden Australia

All the above sound a bit like a death nell for Australian built cars from Holden.

I presume the Daewoo variants are all shipped in from Korea. If the thinking is the commodore will move to overseas production - doesn't leave much to be built within Australia.

Jobs/ balance of payments aside - does it really matter then if ALL Holden models become imports? Will that have an impact on market share an loyalty? Or is sporting a Holden badge enough?

Guess thats where the marketing guys come in - however if the looks and success of the Viva is much to go on - could be a lean time for an overseas imported commodore down the tracks

buddyforu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VPII Executive
Yes it does REALLY matter if local production ends, thousands of jobs would be lost, the flow on affect to local suppliers would be horrendous!!
Holden would become a niche player as Ford would without doubt play on the fact that the Falcon remains the only locally built large car. The Holden brand identity would be damaged beyond belief. There is no way that GM would allow this to happen. Holden is more than profitable enough with local assembly of the Commodore and variants.