Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden or Daewoo ?

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Falcon would be the only locally produced, but the Commodore would have an unprecidented price drop Ford probably wouldn't be able to match (although build quality - I don't know). I also heard a rumour that some Holden guys were sent to the Daewoo factory to bring standards up a bit, if this is true that can only be good things for the small/medium car maker.

Also remember that the cars that Holden are selling at the moment that are Daewoos and Opels, some of them don't have a racing background or even compete in a racing series (viva cup would be hilarious) opposed to the Commodore which, although not very much like the road car competes in the V8 super cars, apparently Australia's favorite motorsport.. it will always have this going for it, no matter where they're making them, and as long as they keep doing what they're doing I'm sure even if it was made in another country it would be an OK car (except the job losses would make me a sad panda)

Also worth noting Australia isn't the only market for Australian cars, we export a lot of them to the middle-east as Chevrolet Luminas, China as a Buick (Statesman) and would you believe they're even selling them badged up as Daewoos?

V

VX_KN079

Zeta has been in European cars for years.

I AM NOT WRONG!!! YOU GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT BEFORE YOU ABUSE THE **** OUT OF SOMEONE NEXT TIME!!!

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
VX_KN079 said:
Zeta has been in European cars for years.

Actually, Zeta platform has only been demonstrated on one concept car (ever). The first production car to use the platform will be the VE Commodore this year. Where are you getting your information from? I'd question whether they're talking **** or not taking you seriously man.

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
I think some one above is confused with the 'Epsilon' platform which has been used in Europe for years and seen as Vauxhall/Opel Vectra's and the SAAB 9-3 and also in the USA used for the Saturn.
Vauxhall have a racing program for Vectra's and both Opel and Vauxhall have a racing program for Astra's. Irmischer (not sure of exact spelling) have a deal with Vauxhall similar to HSV and Holden

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Don Sutton said:
I think some one above is confused with the 'Epsilon' platform which has been used in Europe for years and seen as Vauxhall/Opel Vectra's and the SAAB 9-3 and also in the USA used for the Saturn.
Vauxhall have a racing program for Vectra's and both Opel and Vauxhall have a racing program for Astra's. Irmischer (not sure of exact spelling) have a deal with Vauxhall similar to HSV and Holden

Epsilon platform.. don't get me started, great little car (the mark 4 astra) but it's too hard to work with in contrast to what I'm used to (VB-VL).. all I want to do is install some neons, finding a place to mount the switch took some time, but if you've ever seen the engine bay you'll wonder as I did about how I'm going to get 12 volts from there, through the firewall and into the interior.. NEATLY.. looking at getting some irmischer parts one day as well..

But back on topic.. there's so many platforms for so many different cars, when you think about it it's mind boggling to think that a car underneith is so similar to many other cars

bsbozzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S V6 M5
What about the Rodeo? Is that not an Aussie car?

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
bsbozzy said:
What about the Rodeo? Is that not an Aussie car?

I think I've read somewhere it's originally an Isuzu (another of the companies General Motors, owner of Holden owns)

bsbozzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S V6 M5
Well the motor in the LT???? series was an isuzu, now its a holden......

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
SSV8pilot said:
All the above sound a bit like a death nell for Australian built cars from Holden.

I presume the Daewoo variants are all shipped in from Korea. If the thinking is the commodore will move to overseas production - doesn't leave much to be built within Australia.

Jobs/ balance of payments aside - does it really matter then if ALL Holden models become imports? Will that have an impact on market share an loyalty? Or is sporting a Holden badge enough?

Guess thats where the marketing guys come in - however if the looks and success of the Viva is much to go on - could be a lean time for an overseas imported commodore down the tracks

I think the Daewoo thing is directly responding to the market. The small and medium segments are very price driven with the previous Barina/Vecra models in no mans land - too dear to compete with the cheapies but not a serious contender for the BMW/VW's etc.

There is more money to be made from people who don't look much past the price tag compared to the others.

Reaper

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
GM are looking at selling Izuzu to a joint consortium to raise much needed cash. They have already sold there stake in Subaru to Toyota late last year.
Suzuki is apparently up for grabs as well. And yes the Izuzu/Holden Rodeo now uses the 'Alloytec' engine. It is the sale of the Alloytec's to Opel/Vauxhall/SAAB and to Alfa Romeo that could mean that Holden could use to justify assembly of Commodores and the like in Korea. They could maintain export quotas this way.