Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden puts the finishing touches to Australia's next-generation NG Commodore

Discussion in 'News/Updates' started by Darren, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Darren

Darren Administrator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV Clubsport R8 E2 M6
    • Talented Holden engineers finalising unique Australian suspension and steering tune following months of extensive testing
    • V6 AWD and 2.0-litre turbo petrol and turbo diesel variants tuned locally
    • 2.0-litre turbo petrol quickest base model Commodore ever; 191kW power and 350Nm torque
    • Local development program with over 100,000km driven to date
    • Next-generation Commodore to launch in early 2018
    After months of local testing, Holden’s talented engineering team is now putting the finishing touches to the next-generation Commodore, giving it the distinctive ride and handling attributes expected of the Commodore nameplate.

Following Holden’s most recent local test trip through the Victorian Alps, during which the engineering team surpassed the cumulative 100,000 kilometres travelled mark, Lead Dynamics Engineer, Rob Trubiani said the cars were feeling even better by the day.

“We’ve been collaborating with our colleagues in GM Europe to make sure we’ve been able to apply all of the lessons we’ve learnt in developing Commodores over the last 30 years”, said Trubiani.

“We’ve worked on a more direct and responsiveness steering feel to give drivers greater confidence and a more engaging experience behind the wheel. That’s in addition to changing the dampers and suspension tune on both 3.6-litre V6 and 2.0-litre turbo variants so the car feels planted and well-balanced.

“The 3.6-litre V6 is a great engine but the surprise package in the range is undoubtedly the 2.0-litre petrol with a nine-speed automatic transmission. Not only is it quicker than our current base model V6, it’s also more frugal.”

Built on an all-new lightweight architecture and boasting 191kW and 350Nm, paired with a 9-speed transmission, the new 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol variant represents the quickest base model Commodore ever, able to blitz a 0-100kph dash in approximately seven seconds.

Like it’s VXR sibling, the 2.0-litre turbo petrol Commodore focuses on dynamic handling and efficient performance and has now commenced real-world everyday testing as part of Holden’s ‘Captured Test Fleet’ (CTF) program. Consisting of over 20 pre-production vehicles in a range of bodystyles, the CTF program asks a wide range of Holden employees to drive vehicles day-to-day and report back on any issues such as radio reception and squeaks and rattles to ensure that the next-generation Commodore fits in seamlessly with Australian drivers’ lives.

The CTF program also enables final check of the long list of high-tech features available on the next-generation Commodore. Features usually reserved for high-end luxury vehicles such as 360 degree camera, adaptive LED lighting and head-up display, ensure Holden’s product development teams will stay busy for months to come.

The next-generation Commodore will be on sale at Holden dealers nationwide from early 2018.

NEXT-GENERATION COMMODORE RANGE HIGHLIGHTS INCLUDE:

• Efficient performance:
      • 3.6-litre V6 engine or 2.0-litre turbo petrol and diesel engine options
      • 9-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifter select
      • Adaptive AWD with torque vectoring
    • Cutting-edge driver assistance systems and technology:
      • Next-generation Adaptive LED Matrix headlights
      • 360 degree camera
      • Autonomous Emergency Braking (with pedestrian protection)
      • Adaptive Cruise Control
      • Lane Departure Warning
      • Lane Keep Assist
      • Forward Collision Alert
      • Side Blind-Zone Alert
      • Rear Cross-Traffic Alert
      • Head Up Display
      • Heated and ventilated leather front seats
    Source - Holden Media

Attached Files:

2. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
    While I think it looks good , it does resemble a Mazda especially with that grill embellishment . Time will tell ,
    bring on the haters .

3. zero_tolerance

zero_tolerance Donating Member

Members Ride:
    MY17 VFII Redline
    This is the first time in my life that I have virtually no interest in a new Commodore launch.

Steve Calais and the_boozer like this.
  4. uniacidz

uniacidz Harden the Frak Up

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    Mazda 6 Sedan for the money

c2105026 and commodore665 like this.
  5. c2105026

c2105026 Active Member

Members Ride:
    2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
    I wouldn't even do that. Too big. Daily driver is a Mazda3, I currently see absolutely no reason to get anything bigger.

Top of the line Mazda3 with all bells and whistles for the money ($40k or so). with a bit left over for some tasty mods ;)

6. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    That's a lot of money for a Mazda 3. Doesn't seem like good value to me but whatever floats your boat I guess.

7. mpower

mpower Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 CV8 Monaro and VXII Clubsport
    good to see that the end of local manufacturing has bought us those low prices everyone was crapping on about - oh wait NO, just higher margins for manufacturers I mean importers.

GTS007 likes this.
  8. ShinyVS

ShinyVS New Member

Members Ride:
    VS S-Pac Ute
    God it's so ugly, not looking forward to seeing the showroom full of these

Steve Calais likes this.
  9. lowandslow

lowandslow Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 III Monaro
    Can you get the diesel in AWD and manual?

10. markalan1two

markalan1two Smile and wave boys !!!!

Members Ride:
    X3 3.0 BMW, GenF2 GTS, Captiva, Audi S3 Cab
    i can safely say one will never darken my driveway. They should have called it the "Edsel"

11. Calaber

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Nah. Already tried and failed. I still think they are relying on the name to maintain a high profile for the new model. I think they also recognise that sales will be far less than traditional Commodore and they will have to basically re-market the car from day 1. I reckon the thinking is that a completely new model with a recognised name will be easier to sell.

Malibu was a new model and new name and we all know how that went.

Tonner Matt likes this.
  12. mpower

mpower Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Malibu was also a pile of garbage.

13. Calaber

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    It did nothing that most of its competitors didn't do better and its appearance was mundane. It had nothing in its favour. Even the Holden badge couldn't raise the stakes. A dead set dud.

14. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
    absolutely , it was a vanilla sponge , with no filling or icing , just there to fill a gap in the market , and it didn't even manage that successfully .

15. mpower

mpower Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    they should have rolled straight off the production line into a crusher.

Tonner Matt and zero_tolerance like this.
  16. Calaber

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Can't argue with that but the new model which I saw a lot of in Hawaii recently is quite a decent looking car. Can't comment on it's performance though.

17. zero_tolerance

zero_tolerance Donating Member

Members Ride:
    MY17 VFII Redline
    Yep, the Malibu and various other Daewoo garbage did nothing but tarnish Holden's image. Why they went ahead and sold these vehicles in Australia is beyond me when even blind freddy could see they were a failure.

Zeke Topanaga likes this.
  18. Calaber

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    I think one of Holden's (or GM's) worst decisions was to terminate selling small Euro sourced cars and replace them with seriously deficient Daewoos, thinking that buyers would be taken in by the cheap prices. It tarnished the Holden Brand seriously.

The decision was based on Australia's poor exchange rate against the Euro at the time which meant the Opels couldn't be sold here at competitive prices, yet around that time, Ford ceased Asian sourced small cars and returned to Euro built cars.

19. Brettly-2008

Brettly-2008 Active Member

Members Ride:
    WM Statesman - VE SS Commodore
    As far as Malibu is concerned, why does it need to be exciting? It's a middle-of-the-range appliance that suits certain buyers and not others. Toyota, Nissan (don't get me started) Mitsubishi etc... Mazda being the only other non-euro manufacturer to offer something 'edgy'. I've been in a Malibu quite a bit lately and actually rate its use of interior lighting design. I also think Holden should have looked a bit harder at Malibu's Camaro-style tail light style for VF... But that's just me, other than that there was not much else that would make me want to buy one. But I didn't hate it either.

As far as NG is concerned, I reckon it will be a great car to drive, and it looks decent to me, but the big appeal for Commodores of old was that tangible link to the big hitting HSV/Bathurst/Halo SS models. For me growing up, Commodores - even base models - had the mystique of being engineered to at least cope with high end performance and racing, and could be easily modified as such. They always offered underdog performance and durability. Sales of SV6s kind of prove this. The concept of a frugal Commodore is admirable, but if that's your main goal, you'll buy something else surely?.

En masse, I'm not really sure who the NG customer is.

20. Calaber

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    The Malibu's problem wasn't that it was a bad car. It just didn't stand out from its competitors, wasn't really superior to them in any significant manner and was lost in the crowd of similar cars in a diminishing market. Even cars like the Mazda 6, which IS better than the Malibu, have lost sales in recent years.

I think the ZB is going to get a mixed reception. It won't appeal to most of the enthusiasts on this forum because it has no V8 option, it's FWD and it's imported. Personally, I think the fact that it's FWD is of absolutely no concern to the vast majority of car buyers because most cars are designed that way now and it hasn't stopped sales increasing.

As for its potential market, we all know it will never reach the sort of numbers Commodores used to sell in. But will it improve the present numbers? Commies are now selling at less than 2,000 per month. This could be due to diminishing interest in that particular car because it's about to cease production, general lack of interest in large cars or reduced production numbers as termination approaches.

The car could appeal to people who haven't been Commodore buyers and some older traditional Holden customers but due to the changes in buyer tastes in the past decade, I seriously doubt that sales will exceed 30 - 35 thousand a year. Of course, Holden might be very satisfied with those numbers.