Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Question

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
hey, i got a question, but the problem is it's nothing to do with commodores.

my friend has a holden berena, 96 model, little cute car it is, now this is the problem, if you accelerate to hard it stalls for some reason, not sure as to why? it just wont come down in the rev's at all, keeps stalling, im thinking it's something to do with the air, but im not realy all that sure, any idea's would be great, she dont earn that much money, im doing her a favour

cheers
garth

P

Phil

Hey Garth,

Good to see your still with us..

Ok, You might want to check the throttle body for dirt and grit.
. Check all leads and sparkplugs
. If you reciently washed the engine bay and engine and the problem has developed you might want to dry the ends of the leads going to the plugs.
. Check the dizzy for moisture under the cap... only needs a drop to do it.
. Timing advance.
. Dirty fuel.
. fuel injection clean is always a good thing.

Thats a start.. Whats it like when your driving at speed and you press the peddel down?.. does it still want to cough and splutter?. Water is a bugger went it gets into things.. It can happen just from excessive rain if there is not engine protection plate underneath the car, the water splashes up into the engine bay..

Cheers
Phil

Garth

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
hey there phil,

im still here, but my day's are numbered, im saving franticaly to buy a pc that's internet ready, hopefully i can get one soon

the car is a pain to drive, when you put your foot down it hesitates in a huge way, it realy does strugle to reach any speed above 80kmph, just for ****'s a giggles i wanted to see what speeds i could get it up to the other day, i think it took me almost 2 km to reach 163kmph. im gonna have another look at it 2morrow and ill see what it could possibly be, when she got it, motorama give it a 6 month warranty for everything in the car, the problem is the warranty ran out on saturday, and she was to slack in taking it up to holden. im leaning towards a air problem, it seems to be strugeling to breath, hopefully it's a simple case of cleaning the throtle body and giving her a not so restrictive air filter and all will be well.

ill let you all know how it goes

cheers
garth

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
i used to have a vb commodore that did exactly the same thing
one problem was leaking manifold inlet
the other was water in the fuel used metholayted spirits in the fuel tank mixed with the fuel and that got rid of the water.
also the leads were arcing on the block so had to replace them then i had no problems.

i know its not a modern engine i was working with but it may give you ideas.

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
you could also check out the air filter it could be really dirty or crushed,sounds like its not getting the air fuel mix into it fast enough,,also if it is just out of warranty get her to take it back and see what they have to say they might still do it for her,,,,,,,,especially as she is a female,,,,,,,,,,,,,, we would have no luck being guys so you never know

cheers fergi

Garth

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
problem solved, after scraching my head, i did the following, replaced the air filter, (dam that was a hard task to remove the top of the box) and i changed it to a bigger airflow pipe, the bloody thing was starving for air in a huge way, the poor thing, seening anything with a holden in pain makes me wanna cry