Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Recall

D

dragrat

Holden to recall locally built cars
May 12, 2004

HOLDEN is to recall 135,000 locally built cars to fix a potential problem with the power steering.

The company said today reports from owners had revealed the power-steering cooler hose might rupture during cornering.

It said that could affect vehicle control with a possible loss of steering assistance.

"We initially thought the problem might only be associated with severe cornering," Holden spokesman Jason Laird said.

"But we have subsequently found that the material used for the hoses needed to be reviewed."

Mr Laird said there had been no reports of incidents as a result of the problem.

The recall would affect Commodore, Calais, Crewman, One-tonner and utility models built between August 26, 2002 and September 2, 2003 and Statesman and Caprice models built between March 20, 2003 and September 2, 2003.

That included 115,000 V8 and V6 cars sold in Australia, 11,000 V8s exported to the Middle East and 8,500 V8 and V6 vehicles shipped to New Zealand.

Holden said it would send letters to customers this week advising them of the recall and advertisements would be placed in national newspapers early next week.

Replacement of the hoses, one on V6 cars and two on V8s, would take about 30 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
****! Better tell my parents, because we have a 2003 VY Commodore, but Anyway, good luck to those getting their cars recalled! :eek:

Edit - OOPS! I misread it..its 2002, NOT 2003! :eek: :b:

Last edited:

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
ouch for holden, thats a lot of cars

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
dammn...pain in the ass....is that holdens fault of the hose manufactuer's ?

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
holden is giving ppl the run around.... my work mate has rung holden bout her car and they are just brushing her off and saying youll know more when we do wit till monday for the news paper ad!

Not good holden

jacko

Reaction score
Yeah i heard about that on the radio. Not good for holden!

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
At least its only a dodgy little hose compared to something more expensive I guess.

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Really there can be fault to both sides on this one Gobbles. The manufacturer of the hoses should have supplied the correct material and Holden I guess should have checked them before it went on the cars.

Funny how it's always the car manufacturer that cop's it sweet when it comes to things like this. I have a feeling Bridgestone do the hoses but I can't be 100% certain on that one. I know they do all the steering wheels, rubber seals etc.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
i've worked for holden. they give the supplier a spec. if the spec is met and the part fails, holden wears it. if the part doesn't meet spec, the supplier wears it. pretty simple :)

this has been ongoing for a while, Motor did an article on it last year. holden are being very slack with this.

Boeing777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Thunder SV6 Ute
135,000 cars, thats nearly $70,000 just in postage costs to send letters to the owners... I'll be watching my mail box. May as well just wait till I'm due for my 45,000 in a month or so. I can't wait to hear all about this one from the Ford fans tomorrow at work :rolleyes:

Wonder if this has something to do with the clunking sound I hear when I do a low speed full lock turn...been meaning to ask them about that too.