Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden rethinks its space-saver spare wheel option for Commodore sedan and wagon

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I've always managed to get the dealers to throw them in as part of the deal but anyways....

Reaper

Holden rethinks its space-saver spare wheel option for Commodore sedan and wagon

GM HOLDEN will replace the space-saver spare wheel that currently comes as standard in entry-level Commodore sedans and Sportwagons with two no-cost spare-tyre options from March 2009 production.

Previously a $350 option, a full-size steel spare wheel will be a no-cost option for VE sedan and wagon buyers, with a full-size alloy spare wheel available to Sportwagon Calais V-Series and SS-V Series purchasers.

In a new arrangement Holden says offers Commodore customers greater choice, Holden will also offer the new no-cost option of a lightweight Tyre Inflator Kit “for customers whose priority is fuel efficiency and/or where the prospect of changing a flat tyre is daunting”.

Holden Commodore - Commodore gets new spare options - News
Commodore-SSV-Wagon.jpg

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
they are always easy to pick near new for 100 bucks anyway . but like as it says a max of 80km/hr on it is that only the tire rating? i have a yellow vs senator mag and a vy clubsport one

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
$350 for a spare STEEL rim?!! What a rip! Last one I got from Bob Jane looked brand new (must've been from someone who bought a car, then put rims on pretty much straight away) and had about 90% tread on it (RE92) and cost $30. Didn't even bother to try and haggle it down at that price.

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
$350 for a spare STEEL rim?!! What a rip! Last one I got from Bob Jane looked brand new (must've been from someone who bought a car, then put rims on pretty much straight away) and had about 90% tread on it (RE92) and cost $30. Didn't even bother to try and haggle it down at that price.

Haggle it down any lower and they'd be paying you to wheel it out the door!

But a full size spare should be a standard thing. Space saver spares are crap.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
For around town the vt-vy space saver is perfect for my VS wagon as it gives me a perfect flat floor and I'd change it as soon as I got home.
When I travel I throw in a VT senator spare (Maloo 17x7 alloy with 215/50x17 tyre) which lifts the lid about 40mm above the floor height.
I can't use a stock steelie as I need a 17" wheel to fit over my brakes.
If I put my 18x8.5 in the spare wheel well the hold down bolt doesn't even go close to reaching the thread and the lid sits about 100mm off the floor, so there is no way I could run a full size spare.
So space savers do have a place.
My 2c worth.

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
Reading between the lines its another cost cutting exercise, remove 1 part from the line up and replace with something already produced and supplied to existing models. It's a no brainer on GMH's part really.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
$350 for a full sized spare:rofl:, wat a joke

My old man, is in the process of getting a 09 VE SV6 sportswagon. When he saw the cost of the full size spare, he couldnt stop laughing.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
If they can take that abuse for that long before disintergrating then they should be ok on the road, at least to get you home.
Although some people think they are a normal tyre and drive on them for weeks.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
If they can take that abuse for that long before disintergrating then they should be ok on the road, at least to get you home.
Although some people think they are a normal tyre and drive on them for weeks.
Longer... I used to see a WRX around Canberra and he had a space saver spare on it for atleast 4 months.