Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Rodeo Enhancements/Mods

mattrodeoute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Rodeo 01 Petrol 4 cylinder
Hey people, first post here. Recently trading in my xr6 turbo for a 01' Rodeo 4 cylinder Petrol, 122,000 kms, just asking for a bit of advice??

Cosmetic wise, I've got it tinted and getting an mp3 headdeck and speaker system next week put it.

I'm also changing the spark plugs and lead, and doing a coolant flush, but since the car yard got a service done just before i bought it, all the other fluid levels are at the right level and seem new/clean.

But taking in consideration the age of the vehicle, what else should I be replacing in the near future as 'preventative' maintenance? Like timing belt etc??

Also, besides getting a K&N Air Filter put in, what other mods could I do to assist performance?

Thanks in advance

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
That thing is going to go through fuel like a V8 on race day.

Have a look in the engine bay to see if there is a sticker anywhere that says if the timing belt has been replaced before. If you can't find anything, then I would be replacing the timing belt and checking to see if the cam and crank seals are leaking or not. I would also replace the brake fluid and bleed it through the system, as this should be done at least every 2 years and most people don't get it done. Not too sure what you could do performance wise, but replacing the spark plugs, spark plug leads, fuel filter, etc would be a good start.

mattrodeoute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the quick reply mate, I have a work ute from Monday-Friday, but just wanted a practical ute for weekend work, with the whole toolbox and ladder rack set up.. Haven't topped up a full tank yet, but I put 30 litres of unleaded 91 in, with Octaine booster added, and got about 220 kms on the highway, which I guess ain't too bad.

I'm doing the spark plugs and leads myself, but I was going to wait for my local mechanic to do the Fuel Filter at the next service interval since I've actually never done one before, I suppose it wouldn't be too hard right? Also, in order to keep my caryard warranty valid, i have to get an oil and filter change every 3 months with an invoice which sucks a bit.. should I be using fully synthetic oil in something like this, or would I not bother since it's having regular oil change intervals?

mattrodeoute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the Quick reply mate.. Well I got a company supplied work ute monday-Friday, just wanted a cheap ute for weekend work with the whole toolbox/ladder rack set up..

Was going to do the leads and plugs myself, but get my mechanic to do the Fuel filter at the next oil change interval since I've never done it myself,but I'm sure it can't be nothing too hard? Also, to keep my caryard warranty, i have to get an oil filter and oil change at 3 monthly intervals, which is a bit of a pain, but o well. Should I be using good oil like fully synthetic with something this old? or just normal oil since the oil changes are quite often??
That thing is going to go through fuel like a V8 on race day.

Have a look in the engine bay to see if there is a sticker anywhere that says if the timing belt has been replaced before. If you can't find anything, then I would be replacing the timing belt and checking to see if the cam and crank seals are leaking or not. I would also replace the brake fluid and bleed it through the system, as this should be done at least every 2 years and most people don't get it done. Not too sure what you could do performance wise, but replacing the spark plugs, spark plug leads, fuel filter, etc would be a good start.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Thanks for the quick reply mate, I have a work ute from Monday-Friday, but just wanted a practical ute for weekend work, with the whole toolbox and ladder rack set up.. Haven't topped up a full tank yet, but I put 30 litres of unleaded 91 in, with Octaine booster added, and got about 220 kms on the highway, which I guess ain't too bad.

I'm doing the spark plugs and leads myself, but I was going to wait for my local mechanic to do the Fuel Filter at the next service interval since I've actually never done one before, I suppose it wouldn't be too hard right? Also, in order to keep my caryard warranty valid, i have to get an oil and filter change every 3 months with an invoice which sucks a bit.. should I be using fully synthetic oil in something like this, or would I not bother since it's having regular oil change intervals?

Yeah it would be better to fill it up with fuel and then seeing how many kilometers you get from a tank. I know an auto electrician that used to have a Rodeo like yours and he used to complain about how much fuel it was using.

I'm not sure how easy/hard it would be to replace the fuel filter as I can't remember where they are located on the Rodeos, so it might be best to just do what you said and get a mechanic to replace it. If you need to get the oil and filter replaced every 3 months, I wouldn't used full synthetic oil as it would be a waste. Mineral engine oil will do, or you could use semi synthetic if you wanted too. I think you use 15W40 engine oil in those Rodeos.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
It's the v6 rodeos that suck the juice, the 4 won't be anywhere near as bad as what the 6 is.

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
I had a turbo diesel rodeo 03 and got around 500kms to
A tank, not bad

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
It's the v6 rodeos that suck the juice, the 4 won't be anywhere near as bad as what the 6 is.

Oh yeah thats right, the V6 Rodeos are the ones that use heaps of fuel. The 4 cylinder should be alright.