Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Special Vehicles Launches New Grange

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Australia's high performance car manufacturer Holden Special Vehicles will launch a more powerful, re-styled new Grange (WM3) with a host of new technology as part of its MY11 range of model upgrades.

The Grange was first included in HSV's line-up in 1997, and has been the company's luxury flagship ever since, setting the standard for luxury performance motoring in Australia.

The Grange WM3 has received a host of upgrades and improvements including more power, a new more dynamic styling package, and a variety of impressive new technologies.

HSV Managing Director Phil Harding believes the upgrades in the new Grange suits the character of the vehicle.

"The Grange buyer traditionally wants the most luxurious, and technologically advanced Australian-made performance car there is," said Mr Harding.

"Grange has always fitted that description well, but the new styling, increased power and extra technology makes WM3 a compelling proposition for a luxury car buyer that is passionate about driving."

The Grange WM3 goes on sale at the end of September, and becomes the second HSV model (following GTS) to be powered by the company's 325kW 6.2-litre LS3 V8 engine.

As a result, the Grange now features the company's unique 'hi-flow' intermediate exhaust with bi-modal rear mufflers. Maximum torque remains 550Nm at 4600rpm.

A MORE DYNAMIC LOOKING GRANGE

The Grange WM3 will receive a new front and rear design, and for the first time will incorporate Daytime Running Lamps, bringing the luxury flagship's appearance in line with the rest of the HSV range.

Julian Quincey, HSV Chief of Design and Styling, believes the new-look Grange will appeal to more buyers.

"We have made the Grange a more dynamic looking car, and the update delivers greater on-road presence," he said.

"It definitely still retains the classy appearance and proportions that you expect from a luxury performance car; however, we have added a few more masculine-looking details like the DRL's and the shockwave inspired exhaust tips."

Grange also receives a new premium leather colour option in Light Urban, which is available as an alternative to Onyx Black.

EXCITING NEW TECHNOLOGIES

HSV's focus on technology and innovation sees the introduction of three new and unique technologies to the Grange WM3.

Enhance Driver Interface
As standard, the Grange will receive HSV's Enhanced Driver Interface (EDI) which is an intuitive touch screen performance data interface. EDI delivers real-time vehicle dynamics and performance data to the fingertips of drivers.

Tim Jackson, HSV's General Manager of Marketing believes this feature will be perfect for the HSV customer.

"EDI is for the driving enthusiast. For the first time our customers will have real-time information including G force, power & torque, accelerator and brake position, and stability control data – all at the driver's fingertips," he said.

"For the real enthusiast they can even download their data to a USB memory stick and analyse it on their laptop."

Liquid Propane Injection (LPI)
Grange will also be available with HSV's new optional LPI technology, whereby the engine can operate on both LPG and regular unleaded petrol.

This unique technology has seen significant improvements in running costs and emissions outputs – by up to 15 per cent – but retains all the power and torque that customers have come to expect from HSV.

HSV's Engineering Manager Joel Stoddart highlighted the uniqueness of this technology.

"LPI technology injects the LPG as a liquid rather than a vapour. This allows for cooler combustion and better metering, which allow us to maintain engine performance while reducing CO2 emissions," he said.

"Marry this with the reduced running costs of LPG and I believe the system delivers a tangible benefit to the customer."

Side Blind Zone Alert
Also as standard, Grange receives Side Blind Zone Alert (SBZA) which provides the driver information and warning when objects are passing through their vehicle’s blind spot.

HSV's introduction of SBZA is the first time such technology has been fitted to an Australian-made car.

HSV's General Manager of Sales, Darren Bowler, says it is this type of technology that the Grange buyer has come to expect.

"Our Grange buyer expects the best appointed car in our range," he said.

"The addition of SBZA as standard on Grange represents another Australian-first for HSV.

"The combination of introducing such technologies, adding more power and a great new look further strengthens Grange's position as the ultimate in Australian-made luxury performance cars."

Source - HSV Media

Attachments

• HSV_Grange-01.jpg
    HSV_Grange-01.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 862
  • HSV_Grange-11.jpg
    HSV_Grange-11.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 496
  • HSV_Grange-09.jpg
    HSV_Grange-09.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 541
  • HSV_Grange-02.jpg
    HSV_Grange-02.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 663
  • HSV_Grange-10.jpg
    HSV_Grange-10.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 743
  • G Force.jpg
    G Force.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 522
  • Fuel Economy LPI.jpg
    Fuel Economy LPI.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 390
  • EDI Data analysis.jpg
    EDI Data analysis.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 493
  • Race.jpg
    Race.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 442
  • SBZA.jpg
    SBZA.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 895
  • BiModal.jpg
    BiModal.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 442
  • Driver.jpg
    Driver.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 404
  • Data Logging.jpg
    Data Logging.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 383
  • Main Menu.jpg
    Main Menu.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 1,331
  • Track Selection.jpg
    Track Selection.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 410
  • Fuel Economy.jpg
    Fuel Economy.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 371
  • MRC.jpg
    MRC.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 382
  • Gauges.jpg
    Gauges.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 423
  • Dynamics.jpg
    Dynamics.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 596

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
cool telemetry/data logging stuff, but how many owners will properly understand what it all means?

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
SBZA hey? I thought it was gonna be SP (self-parking)? :hmmm:

All that data on the screen would be more of a distraction than anything else IMO. Still pretty cool though I spose.

...But how come the graphic of the car on the EDI shows the back of a Clubby/GTS? :confused:

SV666

The Commodore Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXEC SII
...But how come the graphic of the car on the EDI shows the back of a Clubby/GTS? :confused:

Could be a hint somewhere down the track that this new technology could make it's way to the GTS which would make more sense in my opinion, I see it as a great achievement that Holden has incorporated into its luxury Flagship but things like track telemetry (EDI in general) to me if I were to purchase a new Grange... well I wouldn't be taking it to a track anytime soon. All well and good that these new features are in the Grange but EDI would be more beneficial in the GTS as it would serve as a better "track car" over the Grange.

Other than that giving it the LS3 and a bi-modal exhaust would be a fun thing to have for your Sunday drive up the coast.

STEEV888

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 200sx.
that EDI is insane i want it in my car.
by putting it in a car all they would do is give you records to beat in ur own mind..
on ur daily drive to work "well i got X.XX G's yesterday so today ill try X.XX +3 today... oh whats that, oversteer?" bang pole dead...

Last edited:

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Even with all the techno gadgetry I would still refuse to buy it if I had the money. I hate the smily face wanna be Mazda thing it's got going.

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
SBZA hey? I thought it was gonna be SP (self-parking)? :hmmm:

Self parking is a different feature. It parks itself while you hold the brake lightly to slow movement, that's all. SBZA has been on yank luxury cars for a while, and probably jap cars for even longer. It's basically parking sensors on the corners of your rear bumper, and a little light in your wing mirrors turns on if it detects something in that spot.

kcpwns

Kicker - Livin' Loud :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
i like it alot :)
just lookin at the pictures makes me wanna hump its leg lol

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Playstation anyone.

Would i be wrong in saying the caprice/grange don't get higher mounted information centre screen ?.

Blind spot notification is good, and anything that keeps the eyes forward is a winner. should be available across the range like esp one day. many don't bother checking blind spots, or choose to sit in them dangerously. so i like this feature.. Reverse camera was needed and overdue.

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
Telemetry is cool, giant trout face is not.