Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Special Vehicles W427 launched

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
For a naturally aspirated performance car, 100hp per litre is good and 100kW per litre is excellent. So no, you're not a redneck, you're just crazy if you drive that on the road ;)

@ 88GreenVN : They can keep some power in reserve if they want, but 500hp from 7.0L is ****-poor. They should be able to get another 100-150hp from that motor at least - not that GMH did any engine design, they just bought the motor from the Seppos. Maybe they could afford the big motor but not the cost of a 700hp capable driveline to go with it, at least not with a 3-year warranty.

And I don't care how fast it is, it's still fugly. Unless you're a collector, you'd have to be nuts to buy a $160k Holden. Spend the same on a Nissan GTR and you've got a genuine supercar killer, on or off track - Porsches beware!

Yourve nailed it there with the 3 year warranty/drive line. And do you really need more power to make people buy it - well for the first 90 cars - No because they have sold them already.

If sales slip a bit then Ver 2 may have 10 or 20 kws more.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Some of the knockers on here make me shake my head at times. HSV have built the fastest sedan Australia has ever seen and the best some can say is it's a **** poor effort???

Reaper

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
the LS7 is still a large factory produced engine with tolerances to suit. do a decent rebuild with some blueprinting and you'll make that extra 100hp easy. it's not so much the factory power figure you gotta look at but the future potential this engine has, and this one has plenty

if outright poewr was the goal HSV woulda used the LS9 likethe new 'vette

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
Some of the knockers on here make me shake my head at times. HSV have built the fastest sedan Australia has ever seen and the best some can say is it's a **** poor effort???
Reaper
It may be the fastest production sedan (in a straight line) that has been assembled in Australia, but they've done it by bolting an inefficient, imported truck motor into a tarted-up Commodore. Whoopee - people have been doing that for ages, you can see old Holdens with truck motors at any drag strip you care to visit. The only difference is that Holden put a warranty on theirs, and tarted it up with the ugliest bodykit since the GTS-R.

Being assembled in Australia doesn't excuse it for not being competitive in a global market. There's absolutely nothing remarkable or revolutionary about this car, it's just the latest evolution of a Yankee tradition of making every car "better" by bolting in a bigger motor and fitting an outlandish bodykit.

I'll give Holden some credit when they demonstrate they can do something clever and ingenius on their own, rather than raiding a US parts bin for go-fast bits and plastic.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
It may be the fastest production sedan (in a straight line) that has been assembled in Australia, but they've done it by bolting an inefficient, imported truck motor into a tarted-up Commodore. Whoopee - people have been doing that for ages, you can see old Holdens with truck motors at any drag strip you care to visit. The only difference is that Holden put a warranty on theirs, and tarted it up with the ugliest bodykit since the GTS-R.

Being assembled in Australia doesn't excuse it for not being competitive in a global market. There's absolutely nothing remarkable or revolutionary about this car, it's just the latest evolution of a Yankee tradition of making every car "better" by bolting in a bigger motor and fitting an outlandish bodykit.

I'll give Holden some credit when they demonstrate they can do something clever and ingenius on their own, rather than raiding a US parts bin for go-fast bits and plastic.

???? What rock have you been hiding under??? They sell more commodores overseas than they do here (from memory). Seems pretty competitive to me!

Reaper

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
I clearly didn't mean "competitive" in the sense of global market share of worldwide sedan sales (not that the Commodore would even get into the top 50 ). I meant "competitive" in terms of design innovation or efficiency. Compared to what's happening elsewhere in the world, this car is a giant leap backwards.

I don't mean to be slinging off at Holden in general, I'm just disappointed that a flagship car like the W427 is such a redneck meathead yobbo car. I'm sure it will be fast, and will probably be a valuable collector's item eventually...if the collector happens to be blind.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Have to agree with Klaw. Just what relevance to today's motoring scene does this car have?

And why does it need to have a 427? Why isn't HSV satisfied with a 6 litre engine - how much power do these cars need?

Now I'll sit back and wait for the flak.

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Have to agree with Klaw. Just what relevance to today's motoring scene does this car have?

And why does it need to have a 427? Why isn't HSV satisfied with a 6 litre engine - how much power do these cars need?

Now I'll sit back and wait for the flak.

True, it would be nice to see them go back to a 5.7 with a factory supercharged setup or even a single turbo setup, now that would be a little different! i mean holden needs to rethink about the complete design of their engines and drive train all together! as much as the boss motor in the fords is a boat anchor, @ least ford tried to smash the mould and bring something a little newer to the table! and the same as with the jap cars i mean love em or hate em but most of the jap cars out there are miles ahead in technology than the new holden motors/cars!

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
And I don't care how fast it is, it's still fugly. Unless you're a collector, you'd have to be nuts to buy a $160k Holden. Spend the same on a Nissan GTR and you've got a genuine supercar killer, on or off track - Porsches beware!

You say its fugly, then you mention the new GTR. Now THAT is a fugly car.

Give me $160,000 and i'll eat your GTR with a boat anchor (VN)

Kruza

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dumped IRS VS Acclaim 3.8, VR Stato Caprice 5.0
You say its fugly, then you mention the new GTR. Now THAT is a fugly car.

Give me $160,000 and i'll eat your GTR with a boat anchor (VN)

^^^^^ill give u an extra 100 points for that remark stealthy.....i agree with ya there!!!

just seen the news, and i want to have 4 here in my driveway :rofl:
$155g , well, its only money for some, but its a piece of GMH/HSV hi-po machinery for yrs to come!!!!!

looks like there wont be many left for sale by the end of the yr i reckon...
let alone by june next yr..