Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden to Employ more Engineers

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Do Kenworth, Mack and Western star e.g. Get subsidies because they’re still assembled here and many components locally.
Trucks and machinery are still made here in Australia not everything has left our shores.

Soon find out...Have a mate that works for CMV in Adelaide.....They are a big truck dealership, selling and servicing Mack, Volvo, Kenworth and Western Star.....From memory, Volvo and Mack are interlinked business wise, but don't hold me to that.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
I have no problem at all with subsidising a car manufacturing industry in Australia.

I have no problem at all subsidising an "Australian" car manufacturing industry that is manufacturing in Australia (and using Australian raw materials and Australian (born and trained in preference to people who just moved here for a few years to grab those jobs) workers.
Also if Australian tax payer money is handed over by our government it should be an investment that has conditions attached to it.
Australians deserve to get a return on that investment (like payback) there should also be a TAFE College next door to that manufacturing facility and students are being trained to specifically fill jobs as the new industry expands.
If the corporate decides to leave, the skills and government funded facilities and equipment stay. It is the only way to keep the option of a car industry alive.

tuckerbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300
What's interesting is that GM Holden Engineering Group has been renamed as GM Australia.
GM Global Engineering distancing itself from the Holden sales company.. Just as what Holden design group did. From memory they were renamed to GM Design Australia.
All the engineers do now is stick the plastic holden badge on the Peugeots

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
All the engineers do now is stick the plastic holden badge on the Peugeots

Now now, I'm sure they do other things as the badges are stuck on in Europe and not here.

tuckerbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300
Now now, I'm sure they do other things as the badges are stuck on in Europe and not here.
Be like their “technicians”. The so called techicians at the local holden thievery quoted a mate $3700 to replace upper control arm bushes in his craptiva. Got 2nd opinion. Nothing wrong with em. Just another reason why people stay away from anything with a holden badge on it

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY17 Series 2 Redline - Red Hot
Oooh, you ask a good question.
Are they employing engineers from another country on a work visa (457?) with Australian government funded subsidies?

Maybe it depends on whether those engineers are employed by an Australian government subsidized company (does the GM company have the word Australia in it?)

I've heard that it's mostly Opel engineers being redeployed out here.