Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden to supply for PM

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Holden goes bulletproof for PM

Holden goes bulletproof for PM
By Martin Chulov
August 10, 2004

FEDERAL cabinet ministers will soon be given 10 locally made armoured limousines, each costing almost $400,000 - twice the price BMW tendered.

Bulletproof ... the reinforced glass plating is visible on this BMW 7-series. The German car manufacturer was turned down in favour of Australia's Holden / File

John Howard and the Attorney-General's Department, which signed the contract, were prepared to wear the extra cost to ensure ministers and visiting guests rode in an Australian-made armoured fleet.

The Government will take possession in early November of its new armoured Holden Statesmans - as well as the bill for slightly less than $4million to fit them out.

The contract to armour the fleet was awarded in June to Sydney firm Tenix, the first time an Australian company has been chosen over the US chain that also supplies the FBI.

Tenix for a short time employed former defence minister Peter Reith as a consultant after he left parliament in late 2001.

In decades past, the fleet of new cars had been shipped to and from the US every four years for armouring.

Pleased that its Statesman range is once more the limousine of choice, Holden was nonetheless eager to limit its liability should the untested armoured vehicles falter with a VIP on board.

Stringent performance and weight tests - after fitout - were key factors in discussions between the carmaker and the Attorney-General's Department before the deal was listed in the government gazette.

BMW was also in the reckoning early in negotiations and able to offer armoured limousines built to Australian specifications at roughly $200,000 each.

"But that was never an option for the boss," said one government source.

"He had his heart set on Australian-made."

Tenix, and the Gold Coast firm to which it subcontracted work, Craig International, have a wealth of experience with military and police vehicles, but less exposure to commercial fleets.

Each Statesman will have to be fully stripped, reinforced and rebuilt piece by piece.

Tenix defence chief executive Robert Salteri said the contract was a compliment to the growing skills of Australian industry.

"Interest in armoured non-military vehicles is growing and falls in line with a global focus on internal security," he said. "We expect demand for these vehicles will grow."

The $3.7 million contract includes $2.5 million in capital works and $1.2 million in maintenance over four years.

The Australian

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
John Howard is such an Aussie!!!

That's one investment I'm happy for my taxes to go to ;) he he

Seriously though, it's excellent that John Howard really supports Australian products and industries. Certain others wanted nothing to do with Australian products, mentioning no names ;).

I'd choose a Stato over a BMW anyway, and $200,000 is a cheap beemer anyway so it's probably overall a much better investment.

D

davo

They should have let the tax payers decide....

quite frankly i could think of better places to spend the money.

monaro427

Reaction score
I would have liked to see the specs of both cars. If they are basically identical, I find it hard to justify double the price. I wonder if the BMW's have all panels re-inforced or just have armoured windows. It's hard to say without knowing all the details.

B

boss

It's good to see that we're spending money hear in OZ, and hopefully the Research and Development put into this car will help the development of future family cars..... for a cool 4 mil it oughta!

D

davo

If the money had to be spent, then im glad its being spent in australia... etc etc

But personally i couldnt give a toss whether the PM is in a bullet proof car or not.

4 million doallars would just about put every P-Plater in vic through an advanced driving course, which would save alot more lives.