Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden VE rattle library

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by sharpo, Sep 6, 2011.

1. flyjoe180

flyjoe180 Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6
    LOCATION - Sun glass holder
    WHEN - Rougher roads again
    REASON - No idea, even open and without sunglasses it still vibrates
    FIX - Will let you know, possibly something under those little rubber bungs holding it to the roof

2. VPbomb

VPbomb Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS A6 Ute
    VE SS Ute '10
    LOCATION - Rattle noise under car near passenger side like a metal tube inside another one (unable to determine if front or back due, but think front left)
    WHEN - Over small bumps in the road. Unable to replicate issue, just happens all the time
    REASON - F knows. Been back to holden 3 times. First time holden couldn't hear it. Second time metal bracket under tranmission had spaces inserted. 3rd time (yesterday) had left bonnet hinge adjusted as it 'may' have been hitting plenium. Also had pedders independant check done which returned nothing but split exhaust mount which I replaced.
    FIX - Again, F knows. Have been advised D link bushes checked...

LOCATION -Driver door or seat
    WHEN - Turning corners
    REASON - Require lubrication somewhere
    FIX - Was supose to have been greased so i'm told, but still there

If the above ever get resolved, i'll edit this post. Hopfully when I get coilover put in in the coming weeks, a decent suspension joint might determine the under body noise.

3. mick

mick New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS
    Front metalic rattle

Highly recommend changing front brake pads with Ferodo Performance Brake Pads. Changed mine yesterday and rattle totally gone!!! Noticed Ferodo pads slightly larger backing plate than pads that i took out. Will solve many VE front end metalic rattles

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2011
  4. VPbomb

VPbomb Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS A6 Ute
    Thanks for the tip, but my front end rattle went away after I binned the stock suspension with h&r coilovers

5. mick

mick New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS
    Well done glad it worked out.

6. bow2986

bow2986 New Member

Members Ride:
    2011 ve sidi ute "wildfire"
    Hi people, I don't usually reply to threads but I certainly spend a lot of time on here getting valuable info so thanks to all the people on this forum who ask and answer questions, I really appreciate. I have a
    2011 ve ute, only a six but still nice..I had a persistent rattle in the front drivers side, like the front brake
    Pad or panel, this was for months and it even went to Holden twice to be sorted, they could hear it but
    Had no idea....I found it, my rattle anyway...i lifted my bonet and directly under the hinges on car there are some black plastic parts the hinges sit on, my passenger side has a sponge between this part to stop it rattling, now I looked on drivers side and noticed no sponge and the black plastic piece was very loose, I stuck some sponge in the same spot and have not had this rattle since....anyone who has a similar
    noise take a look at those parts, it may help, sorry for long rant but cheers again for great forum.

7. dmp8810

dmp8810 Member

Members Ride:
    07 VE SV6
    LOCATION -RHR door B pillar.
    WHEN - over bumps at low speeds.
    REASON - TBC
    FIX - TBC , need to remove door pillar trim and roadtest while watching/listening.

07 SV6 SEDAN.AUTO.

8. LuminaME

LuminaME Member

Members Ride:
    VE Lumina 3.6L
    WHEN: bumpy roads (lowered+sport shocks)
    REASON: panel inner side assembly screws loosen
    Fix: removed panels, tightened all screws up. solved like %70 of it. Good music takes care of the rest.

9. eggs

eggs New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Series II SV6
    WHEN: going over bumps
    REASON: no idea
    EASIEST WAY TO FIX: gonna ask at next service

10. Mike08

Mike08 No Back seat drivers

Members Ride:
    VE SS Ute
    WHEN: Whenever i am driving.
    REASON: Drives a 4 pot.
    EASIEST WAY TO FIX: Remove Mr's from Passenger seat. :rofl2:

11. mr_s

mr_s Member

Members Ride:
    VE Lumina 07

Hey OP, did you end up solving the problem?

12. ShouldaBoughtaBMW

ShouldaBoughtaBMW New Member

Members Ride:
    Z-Series VE Sportwagon
    RATTLE SOLVED
    I had the exact same thing - turns out it's actually not in the B pillar.....it's coming through the floor, up through the B pillar, right next to my right ear. There is a plastic cover under the drivers' seat - it rattles under certain conditions. This cover protects three cables (one I think is the fuel line) - these cables create a buzz in my vehicle at precisely 2000rpm, as they vibrate against each other when a particular harmonic occurs. I taped these three cables together tightly and padded between the fuel tank and the plastic cover with sponge, and my rattle immediately stopped.

I spent 12 months driving around without the liner on the drivers' passenger door - took the speaker out of the door too. I even removed the plastic weather sheet, and examined the entire inside door area, and inside the B pillar - padded everything with double-sided tape and gooped everything with fish oil. I ripped out all the plastic covers on the B pillar and the kick panels. It wasn't until I pulled out the rear seat that I could finally tell that the buzz/rattle was not coming from between the B pillar and the rear dirvers' side door. I could finally hear it was coming from beneath the floor. Once I stuck my head underneath - it was obvious.

I even had the dealership spend two weeks driving my VE around trying to pin the noise down - everybody thought it was coming from around the B pillar, next to the driver's right ear BUT IT WASN'T.

If this rattle can appear to be coming from the B pillar, it can probably appear to be coming from anywhere, depending on where the cables are vibrating, and at what frequency/harmonic.

If your Commodore rattles or buzzes - try this. if this doesn't fix it, do what I did - strip the guts out of your car and you might be able to nail it. I'm so relieved I don't have to sell my Commodore - the noise was driving me mad. It made be so angry at Holden, every time drove it.

Oh - other symptoms: the rattle/buzz got better and even went away after driving over hot roads (ie: straight out of the garage it was bad, but 20 minutes down the road on a hot day - it would go away......cold days - it was worse).

I also found that the clunk at 14kph is the ABS self test, and the softer clunk at 34kph is also the ABS system. These clunks only occur first time driving off. They don't happen if you only stop for a minute, or at lights. These noises are 'normal'.

13. pimpjuice

pimpjuice New Member

Members Ride:
    VY II Berlina wagon V6
    Couldn't quite see this one posted, but on the highway about 100kmh, the top left dashboard is rattling, the very corner passenger side. It sounds like the windscreen is tapping on plastic. Seems to happen only at high speed.

Anyone had this? Would I just get a windscreen joint out to reseal it?

Thanks.

I will investigate it more and post a solution.

14. pimpjuice

pimpjuice New Member

Members Ride:
    VY II Berlina wagon V6
    LOCATION: Two dials in centre of dash that open air vents. Has a high buzz type vibration

WHEN: Any time, mostly at higher speeds.

SOLUTION: This is ridiculous, but when you open vents, don't let it click at the way up. Leave it open just so thay the arrow is showing at top. Stopped it completely. Drove me mad for a while and couldn't believe it was that when I figured it out!

15. Angry8

Angry8 Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS UTE
    WHEN: when she is in it
    REASON: wife
    EASIEST WAY TO FIX IT: ...............................................

16. MKN

MKN New Member

Members Ride:
    Holden Commodore VE Omega 2008

When: Bumpy roads, braking and when put into park or reverse.

Reason: Mostly worn struts, mounts...pretty much all worn and that boot devouring tank in the boot for gas weighing me down, will know for sure at next service

Note: 600 000 kms ex-taxi Omega

17. Gixxer7

Gixxer7 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS UTE
    WHEN: Always
    REASON: Internal clips vibrating in their plastic mounts
    FIX: Apply silicon etc to these clips...
    [​IMG]