Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Viva stalling problem

rustyguy085

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais/VT commodore
Hi... not sure that this is in the right place... sorry if it's not..

I have a problem with my wife's holden viva, it stalls when you slow down (car coming back to idle) with the clutch in...

so far I have replaced the coil pack, the idle air control valve and the alternator ( all parts are second hand not new) and I'm still getting the same problem. So if the parts I have replaced are ok (I'm assuming so) then I'm running out of options as to what it could be... 02 sensor? Temp sensor?

When it stalls no check engine light is coming on.. just the battery light and handbrake light. Except that today it was acting like it was going to stall (I think it did but then the revs jumped up ) but the battery and handbrake light stayed on for a few seconds.
It's also worse when you have the air conditioning or the headlights on...

Any help would be great... thanks

lwebster

Reaction score
Members Ride
Viva
Same issue, If you got it fixed can you please tell me how.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Viva’s have a common problem with the valves fouling which closes off the airflow to the cylinders. This can be the cause of the stalling.

The other thing to check if it’s a manual and it’s stalling with the clutch in when coming to a stop is to flick it to neutral when coming to a stop and if it doesn’t stall when flicking to neutral you could have a leaking clutch master or slave cylinder, the fluid pressure bleeding out will re-engage the clutch which will stall the car.