Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden VK...call me silly

veight man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina
alright guys, everyones gonna hate me, or call me wanka or what ever. But after having such a long battle with my missus about my vk I have lost faith in restoring it. Its been sitting out the back for a couple of years now. Even waiting for my mate to pick it up cos he wants to restore it and convert it over to a v8. two years ago I swapped my el ford for a 383 Cleveland that I had plans in putting into a zh but those plans failed, and ended up selling the zh as it was too much of a rust bucket. so my brother (who is a mechanic) came up with the most bizzare idea of putting the Cleveland into the vk sitting outside. At first I thought, this guys going a bit too far but then later I thought, now that's not a fricking bad idea. I mean seriously a 383 Cleveland in a vk, the thing would fricking fly. Has anyone done a Cleveland to a vk ever? I cant seem to find anything on here or google. I know very few people have done ford to holden and holden to ford engine conversions before but I haven't seen/heard one done to a vk.

Please share me your thoughts and name calling haha, I just wanted to share something different.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I haven't seen a Cleveland in a Commodore before
But I reckon it will be a mongrel to fit.
Clevelands are a quite a bulky engine. Early Commodore engine bays aren't overly accommodating. Even a small block Chev is a crap fit.
Windsor into a Commodore maybe, Cleveland..... I think there's going to be a lot of butchering going on for a big heavy lump of an engine.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
agree with Darren it'll be a mongrel fit make it too heavy in the front. A bit off topic here the other day I was looking at a mates v8 zepher the extractors keep burning holes in them as soon as they leave the head they do pretty much a 90 degree turn with the Cleveland being wider than a holden v8 the wheres the extractors gunna go every part you need will be a custom 1 off bit too much work and money for too little gain. Find a Falcon to put the Cleveland in or try swap/sell it for an injected holden v8.
Just the ginger beers inspection when its done will set you back a grand or 2 thats just for him to look at it brake test it and sign it off if he likes it so you can rego it he wont help you do any mods or tell you how to do them.
Sorry my opinion is probably not what you want to hear .
Cheers

Guzzoline addict

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6
Do you have the motivation to do a project like that?.You have the car and engine , grab a engine hoist and see how it fits. On another forum someone fitted a cleveland into a lh/lx torana and toranas have smaller engine bays.If i remember right clevelands have a right hand starter motor ,so you might have problems with the steering fitting it into a commodore.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Ok this might not help but Im starting to pick up rocks to start throwing YOU DONT PUT A FORD MOTOR INTO A HOLDEN!!!

It would probably be less frigging around and be cheaper long term to sell the donk and do an LS conversion on yours

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
theres a good reason as to why u cant find info on a clevo in a vk!

Do I/we need to explain??

Growler71

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina
Mannnnn (@ the OP) do you drink VB! Bwahahahaha

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Restore the VK? 2 years and counting
Put a cleveland in it? add another 2 years.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
Restore the VK? 2 years and counting
Put a cleveland in it? add another 2 years.
+ an untreatable state of depression caused by a ford powered holden

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355