Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden vk starting issue

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Yeah I’d love to add all the info I could but I’m quite inexperienced at this, first project car and I’ve got not a lot of car knowledge behind me. I’ll keep updating the thread the best I can sorry if it’s frustrating
all good, :cool:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
@vc commodore The OP has asked for any help/tips would be appreciated cheers and yet you ask me a question.

seems you answered your own question in your next post

Isn't about time you just stick to answering the OP post and what they are asking and reframe from trying to start/create arguements with other users who are just offering any help/tips that was asked originally. ;)

I didn't actually answer my own question...I was asking further questions to get responses to help assertain what the issue may be.....

Here is my question to the op

If the engine actually turns over, which I am finding it difficult to understand via your posting...

Yes I asked you a question to find out how your answer could solve the OP's problem.....

So how could that be starting an argument?

Vkwags

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk
Just an update, fuses are fine. I’ve changed all 6 spark plugs, new battery, new fuel and fuel filter, changed the carby and have fuel going to the carby. Since I have changed the spark plugs the engine turns over for a couple seconds then shuts off (better than previously)

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Just an update, fuses are fine. I’ve changed all 6 spark plugs, new battery, new fuel and fuel filter, changed the carby and have fuel going to the carby. Since I have changed the spark plugs the engine turns over for a couple seconds then shuts off (better than previously)
Are you saying the engine actually fires up and runs properly for a while ?? or are you saying it just cranks over when turning the ignition key ??

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
I didn't actually answer my own question...I was asking further questions to get responses to help assertain what the issue may be.....

Here is my question to the op

If the engine actually turns over, which I am finding it difficult to understand via your posting...

Yes I asked you a question to find out how your answer could solve the OP's problem.....

So how could that be starting an argument?
Firstly no need to ask others questions first before addressing the OP post. As to your question to me, I wasn’t trying to solve the OP problem as you state, I was giving him tips as he requested.

And yes you did answer it in your second post.
How can a fuel pump relay or fuse prevent an engine from turning over in this era of car?

Your answer was ..... Who disconnected all the wiring for the gas system? Has any of the wiring from the gas system that's been disconnected, been joined into the factory loom at some stage and that loom not been reconnected properly? That's one area to look at And also.... In this era of car, the carby has nothing to do with the engine actually turning over.....So that's one area to discount, if the engine doesn't actually turn over

Well if you knew a VK properly, it has 3 engine combinations, 3 fuel tank, pump, carby, efi, ecu, ignition variations and the OP has given no info on the car, for anyone to really answer what’s going on with his situation. The car could have been an old efi system converted to carbie or a V8 or a 202 carby before it had gas added. What fuel system/pressure was on the car and more info would show what loom electrical system it has and what was fiddled with it to disconnect gas or what happened to the original petrol system. A lot of dodgy lpg gas conversions were added to cars over the last 30 odd years, So who knows, farqk nose.

And the answer to your question is simple, An electric fuel pump needs a relay and a fuse to work, which the Vk’s had for the V8 carbie car and the efi car and even a 202 if someone deleted manual pump and added a bigger different fuel tank, bigger carbie and electric fuel pump/regulator, hence No Pump, No Gas(petrol) No Ride

And the/you’re term “not turning over” is for manual working of the crank rotation to see if seized. The term crank/ing is used for when ignition key to battery power engages the starter motor to spin flywheel/crank of motor, then it’s called start when engine engages and runs, the sequence is ignition, crank and then start, not turning over which is confusing to most people.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Firstly no need to ask others questions first before addressing the OP post. As to your question to me, I wasn’t trying to solve the OP problem as you state, I was giving him tips as he requested.

And yes you did answer it in your second post.
How can a fuel pump relay or fuse prevent an engine from turning over in this era of car?

Your answer was ..... Who disconnected all the wiring for the gas system? Has any of the wiring from the gas system that's been disconnected, been joined into the factory loom at some stage and that loom not been reconnected properly? That's one area to look at And also.... In this era of car, the carby has nothing to do with the engine actually turning over.....So that's one area to discount, if the engine doesn't actually turn over

Well if you knew a VK properly, it has 3 engine combinations, 3 fuel tank, pump, carby, efi, ecu, ignition variations and the OP has given no info on the car, for anyone to really answer what’s going on with his situation. The car could have been an old efi system converted to carbie or a V8 or a 202 carby before it had gas added. What fuel system/pressure was on the car and more info would show what loom electrical system it has and what was fiddled with it to disconnect gas or what happened to the original petrol system. A lot of dodgy lpg gas conversions were added to cars over the last 30 odd years, So who knows, farqk nose.

And the answer to your question is simple, An electric fuel pump needs a relay and a fuse to work, which the Vk’s had for the V8 carbie car and the efi car and even a 202 if someone deleted manual pump and added a bigger different fuel tank, bigger carbie and electric fuel pump/regulator, hence No Pump, No Gas(petrol) No Ride

And the/you’re term “not turning over” is for manual working of the crank rotation to see if seized. The term crank/ing is used for when ignition key to battery power engages the starter motor to spin flywheel/crank of motor, then it’s called start when engine engages and runs, the sequence is ignition, crank and then start, not turning over which is confusing to most people.

You have written a long winded reply, that still doesn't answer the question originally put to you, to help the op out...All you have said that no fuel no run......

So to ask again How does the fuel system prevent an engine turning over with this era of car?

And again...How does the fuel system prevent an engine turning over in this era of car.

And one more time in capital letter s just for you

HOW DOES THE FUEL SYSTEM PREVENT AN ENGINE FROM TURNING OVER IN THIS ERA OF CAR

Oh and the gas system isn't fitted into the loom section that operates the starter....I've owned a VK on gas and currently have a VH, that was on gas, but has been removed

sire01TMK

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK 308
You have written a long winded reply, that still doesn't answer the question originally put to you, to help the op out...All you have said that no fuel no run......

So to ask again How does the fuel system prevent an engine turning over with this era of car?

And again...How does the fuel system prevent an engine turning over in this era of car.

And one more time in capital letter s just for you

HOW DOES THE FUEL SYSTEM PREVENT AN ENGINE FROM TURNING OVER IN THIS ERA OF CAR

Oh and the gas system isn't fitted into the loom section that operates the starter....I've owned a VK on gas and currently have a VH, that was on gas, but has been removed

VC Commodore & Vin999 just need to get a room already!!

Vkwags

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk
The car is a black 202 that isn’t efi so carby
The car has been put on duel fuel some years down the track.
I disconnected the tank and the old line nothing else has been disconnected.
the engine cranks over and runs of a couple seconds then shuts off.

Vkwags

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk
I’ve also seen a thread about a vac starter or something along those lines and if that wasn’t connected to the carby then their car wouldn’t idle or start.
I’m trying to find diagrams on them and to locate if I have one so that may be a cause of why it isn’t starting also

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
When you get it to fire up, is that with fuel down the carby, or is it with the fuel line still connected at the fuel pump?

Remove the fuel line at the carby and place that line into a plastic bottle.....Crank the engine and see if fuel is flowing freely into the bottle....

Remove the needle and seat and make sure the needle is moving freely within it's seat....

Are you running fresh fuel.....Old fuel tends to cause all sorts of running/starting issues.

These 3 checks can help eliminate it being a fuel supply issue.

There are a few vacuum lines in and out of the carby, however when they are disconnected, the motor generally revs up, as it is getting more air into it, therefore getting more fuel into it and revving up...As for a vac starter, can't say I've heard of that, so maybe someone else can answer that

Last edited: