Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Volt

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
GM Holden has released the first images of the highly anticipated Volt extended range electric vehicle as it will appear on Australian roads.

The images, which show a right-hand-drive version of Volt sporting Holden badges on its aerodynamic front and rear, were released as part of Holden's presentation at the Melbourne International Motor Show. It is a local take on the vehicle that has won widespread acclaim for its ability to travel up to 64 kilometres on electricity before using petrol or producing exhaust pipe emissions. GM Holden Chairman and Managing Director Mark Reuss said the company had been overwhelmed by public interest in Volt since announcing it would launch in Australia in 2012. "We think Volt has the potential to change the game in Australian motoring," Mr Reuss said. "Since we announced our plans to introduce Volt to Australia, we have been overwhelmed by public interest in the car and the technology that makes it work "There is no doubt that Volt's advanced propulsion systems represent some of the most exciting alternative fuel developments in motoring.

"At Holden, we believe Volt will play an incredibly important role in our efforts to make motoring better for the environment," he said. General Motors estimates that compared to similar sized petrol-powered vehicles, Volt will save motorists up to 1892 litres of fuel a year. This is based on US research that identifies 75 per cent of commuters travel an average daily distance of less than 40 miles (64 kilometres). When Volt's battery energy is depleted, a small petrol engine generates enough electricity to power the vehicle for hundreds of additional kilometres. GM also calculates that charging the vehicle at night through a standard power outlet will use less electricity annually than an average household refrigerator.
Volt is planned for manufacture at GM's Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly and is scheduled for launch in the US in late 2010. The right-hand-drive version will launch later.

Volt – How The Technology Works
Volt is an Extended-Range Electric Vehicle (E-REV). In a significant advance from conventional hybrids , it uses electricity to move its wheels at all times and speeds. For trips of up to 64 kilometres, Volt is powered solely by the electricity stored in its battery without using petrol or producing exhaust pipe emissions. When the battery's energy is depleted, a small petrol-powered engine generates electric power for the vehicle to travel hundreds of additional kilometres . Advanced technology enables the vehicle's battery to be charged in less than three hours on a standard 240v power outlet. Charge times are reduced if the battery has not been fully depleted. GM estimates that compared to petrol-powered vehicles that average 7.8 litres of fuel per 100 kilometres, Volt will save motorists up to 1892 litres of fuel a year.

Volt – Vehicle Details
The design of the Volt production car has evolved from an original concept that was unveiled at the 2007 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. General Motors created an energy efficient design for the production vehicle, resulting in one of the most aerodynamic cars in the company's history. Many of the design cues from the concept car have been carried over in the production Volt, including the closed front grille, athletic stance and rear design graphics. Inside, Volt will offer the space, comfort, convenience and safety features that customers expect in a four-passenger sedan.

Volt – Battery Details
GM will establish the first lithium-ion battery pack manufacturing facility operated by a major automaker in the United States to produce the Volt's battery pack system. It consists of lithium-ion cells that are grouped into modules, along with other key battery components.

The plant will be located in Michigan, subject to negotiations with state and local government authorities. Facility preparation will begin in early 2009, with production tooling to be installed mid-year and output starting in 2010.

Attachments

• 2012-Holden-Volt.jpg
    2012-Holden-Volt.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,043

nick3110

2.5" Catback
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S2
its gonna help the energy crisis by making ppl realise that this isn't the right way to go about changing our future.. I say bring on hydrogen powered cars, honda have the right idea..

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
I like it although I'm surprised by the fact that Holden's one is going to look like the Chevrolet Volt and not the Opel Ampera (both the same car underneith)... Opel looks better IMO

Attachments

• GMC2009030347845_PV.jpg
    GMC2009030347845_PV.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 5,660

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
If they are serious about the environment they should go hydrogen as it is an unlimited supply, and only water vapour comes out of the exhaust.

the impact on making and recycling batteries is just as bad.

and i agree it looks like a Honda.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
The only problem with hyrdogen is that a lot of people are prejudiced against it...I actually brought this topic up with Dad a while ago when we were talking about cars, and he reckons he'd never drive a hydrogen car, nor would most people, due to the reputation that hydrogen has, with the Hindenberg and all.

Personally, as you said I think it'd be a good idea for them to go with hydrogen...environmentally friendly, renewable, and hopefully cheap too :)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Hydrogen makes alot of power but it's also danger danger as above I was taught in science class over and over again how dangerous Hydrogen is so.... But I'd still drive a Hydrogen car :) I'm sure it's safer compressed in a car than it is in a ballon :). I can't imagine a ballon full of petrol fumes being any better

hsvtj

now cruising..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon, VS Statesman 5.0
electric cars arent really much better are they? you can run your car with barely any emissions, thats great. but then you go home and plug it in over night and where do you think that electricity comes from? most of that isnt clean at all. and imagine how much more of it we would use if everyone drove electric cars?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
I can't imagine a ballon full of petrol fumes being any better

Exactly. LPG is very dangerous compared to fuel, but its stored in a safe way, same as Hydrogen.

The Hydrogen tanks are extremely thick so its quite safe. There are picures around of the tank from the Honda FCX Clarity.