Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

holden vp 383 stroker into hilux 4x4 tuning help needed

v8bulldogs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux with vp 5.0
Hi,

I fitted a standard vp 304 into my 97 Hilux Dualcab about 6 months ago and has been going well.

Last week, I pulled the motor out and have started on the come 383 stroker kit.

I have fitted the crank to the block and grinded out the bottom of the bores to allow the conrod bolts to clear.

Then I opened up the intake ports to suit the gasket, rounded off the pushrod lugs and general tidy up on the heads.

will be running standard intake, pushrods, rockers. the heads are in town now getting a 3 angle seat job and better springs.

The cam I have is a crow 4650 with 230/230 @ 50 and 113 duration with valve lift of .4983 intake and exhaust.

rollmaster timing chain kit.

standard injectors.

The exhaust and extractors are modified vp extractors and 4 into 1 collectors running to a y piece and then a 3 inch straight through system.

I am worried about it not running properly or not at all with the standard memcal/chip.

I am hoping to get this beast running and bolted in within the next 2 weeks but need some advise about the tuning... I don't want to run her lean and cook it.

I have an extra crow cam stage 3 chip that a mate gave me... would this one work better ?

or is there someone out there that has a 383 with similar mods to mine that could copy and download the program to one of my chips. (the standard one or the crow stage 3 one)

or would it just run ok as is.

could i just get some bigger injectors and run those with either of my 2 chips?

there is no dyno blokes around here that i know of that would be able to do it.

any advise would be great, thanks.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Where are you located?

v8bulldogs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux with vp 5.0
Inverell, Northern NSW. I re posted this thread in the tuning section of the forum and Greenfoam has offered to help with the tune.

I will be boltling this engine together on thursday night and with some good luck and lots off coffee. hope to be waking the neighbours at ouround midnight... or a bit after.

currently waiting on a couple more parts.. bigger injectors.

This set up should wake up the old hilux... or snap it in half!!!
Should be fun.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
You do the make conversion yourself or did you buy a off the shelf conversion kit?
Did you use your original box and transfer case of a v8 box?
I want to put my VP inj 5.0ltr into my '84 SWB Pajero.

BENJAMUM

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.3 ltr blown vy ute & vs 5L ute
that thing would b sweet lapping the streets of invy should put some pics up of it lol

v8bulldogs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux with vp 5.0
She's up and running now, had a bit of a problem after the first test run...

Picked up the block from the machine shop and couldn't wait to get back home to assemble the engine.

The first problem was that the bananna intake would not fit onto the newly decked block and shaved heads. the bolt holes wouldn't line up because the manifold was now sitting a bit higher in the valley.

Fixed that, got the die grinder out and elongated the holes for the bolts to slip in. Should have really had the manifold machined but there was no way I could wait another week to get it booked in.

anyway,

Bolted it all up and squeezed the donk in the hilux bay, and fired her up.

sounds sweet as.

after a quick warm up... decided to take her up the road for a spin to see how she goes
with the extra cubes/cam, and ported heads.

Idled out the front gate in first gear and nailed it flat...

The Farken thing near near stood up on the back wheels and then there was this very bad noise and lots of steam comming from the engine bay..... woops.!

She ripped the engine mount rubbers clean in half and put the fan straight through my radiator.

well at least it happened at my front gate and not half way up the main street. The new radiator is in and so is a set of new mounts with steel locking tabs.

It runs a lot better with the magna injectors than standard holden ones.

At 100km/h it will spin both the 10inch mud wranglers off the throttle in fifth gear on dirt.
swap back to standard injectors... lucky to spin in 3rd.

It goes fairly good now but I reckon it would be a lot more fun with an extra couple a hundred
horses. When I win the 90 million next week in lotto, might just try to find them.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Hey I read that story months ago :), what happened with the tune? better? I never heard from you

v8bulldogs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux with vp 5.0
He Foamy,

yeah is going fairly good except she likes to kangaroo jumps like mad at any constant rev between 1000 and 2500 while there is not much load around town... Gotta keep pushing the clutch in when it starts doing it and ride it a bit to smooth it out.

only does it at low revs while lugging around town, and while out the paddock idling along spotlighting.
Doesn't seem to have anything with your tune, because it does it with 3 different chips that I've tried.

My guess is that I have either:

Busted clutch springs/dampers or stuffed gearbox/loose meshing gears. (when I jack both rear wheels up and grab hold of the tailshaft at the back of transfer and twist it hard either way... there is a clunk in the box or clutch while in gear)

Not to mention my newly developed 1/4 turn backlash between the tailshaft splines and rear diff combined.

It feels like riding a motorbike with a real loose chain. I decided I am going to abandon the 5 speed and go the turbo 700.

As for the tune, I haven't had it on a dyno yet to get an idea of the air fuel ratio during a power run. I do notice that the extra advance in the idle timing makes the engine lose it's cammy idle sound... sort of smooths it out to sound like a standard 5l. The cammy sound is gone but accelerates better.

It pulls real hard to about 4,500 then it seems to be gasping for air. The banannas may be holding it back.

inocnt vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Calais 5ltr, Vg ute,
sounds like my motor.. same cam, got it idling kinda smooth and runs outta puff at 4200 on dyno with bananas..(that was tuned by a guy in adelaide)..