Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden VR BT1

Vr5l

Reaction score
Members Ride
wh statesman s2 5.7
Hey guys I'm new and sorry of this has been asked but I've recently (2 weeks ago) bought a holden Vr 5L for $2400 in perth with 239,000 on it it has headers nice exhaust stereo ect but anyway my brother works for holden and to order a part I needed (indicator globe behind dash) he needed my vin number and on the computer it shows that my car is a bt1 ex police car so I was wondering what actually makes them different eg. Diff gears, tune, suspension, weight? Ect ect thanks in advance :)

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Hey guys I'm new and sorry of this has been asked but I've recently (2 weeks ago) bought a holden Vr 5L for $2400 in perth with 239,000 on it it has headers nice exhaust stereo ect but anyway my brother works for holden and to order a part I needed (indicator globe behind dash) he needed my vin number and on the computer it shows that my car is a bt1 ex police car so I was wondering what actually makes them different eg. Diff gears, tune, suspension, weight? Ect ect thanks in advance :)

Nothing. Google it.

Vr5l

Reaction score
Members Ride
wh statesman s2 5.7
Well I have googled it and I'm getting alot of different answers, and for starters I'm pretty sure they have fe2 suspension so there's something that's about all I know of and that's why I'm asking on here

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing different to your run of the mill executive bar maybe a bash plate. Most of them are just abused more then regular models nothing else.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6

with the BT1 , the only thing it may have is the FE2 suspension , and a beefed up electrical system , that is a bigger alternator , but that's about it , and as much as it pains me to agree with Wraith , they have more often than not been thrashed .

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
While mine's a VS, not a VR, there are a number of bits and pieces that it has that a standard exec wouldn't have, including, SS interior, fe2, lsd, dual airbags, bash plate, calais interior light, speedo in 2km increments, "stealth" speedo light (lit from above rather than behind and always on even with lights off), straight/quick shift from drive to 2nd, random wiring in the roof lining and under the carpet and leftover breatho tubes under the back seat.

I believe the ECU may be shielded to avoid intereference from the police electrical gear as well.

No more performance/power attributes than any other 5 litre of the period though.

I will have had mine for 15 years come November and in that time it hasn't been thrashed. But it no doubt had a harder life before I got it.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Some had it some didn't. My V6 ex cop had bash plates, LSD and a RF shielded ECU. Have a look at the diff code in the engine bay and type it into google.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Some had it some didn't. My V6 ex cop had bash plates, LSD and a RF shielded ECU. Have a look at the diff code in the engine bay and type it into google.

All the cop cars have lsd's as far as I know. Don't think they would chop and change the police pack. Don't they keep them all the same?

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
All the cop cars have lsd's as far as I know. Don't think they would chop and change the police pack. Don't they keep them all the same?

BT1 usually all the same but that's not to say people have chopped and changed things. OP have a look at the build plate under the bonnet passenger side and see if it has BT1 on it. Some people just assume any ex cop is a BT1.