Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Vr Caprice

LachieCaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Berlina
Hello All (new to justcommodores)

hoping your all well

I’m in the market for my first project car,

I have always loved the old Statesman’s and Caprices.

I’ve been offered a Vr v6 caprice in good condition but I’m not sure whether I should be chasing a v8 or not. This has nothing to do with value it’s a car to restore to former glory for weekend cruises. What is everyone’s opinion on the v6 or v8?

thanking everybody for there time

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Welcome mate.
Good luck with it

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You could always drop in an 8. A lot of work. My only advice is decide before doing anything with the V6, because like me you can chuck a lot of coin into a Buick if you want them to go alright, especially with an auto.

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Might as well grab it if it's good value.
Have a play and learn to work on cars. Fix it up and if you decide you want an 8 or boost then sell it.
Then use the knowledge you learn to build a different car.
Only thing it can hurt is your wallet.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Yes this is pretty much why I sold my 69,000km VS Calais.....................yes it was only a 6 Cylinder and the value just isn't there and never will be. Now if it was an 8 then it'd still be with me til the end of it's time or mine. Sadly if you are looking for an investment a 6 is just dead money in a top level car and why Holden ever built them beats me apart from selling another bum a seat.

PS Welcome to the JCF's

RWD4ever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3 ute
Sadly if you are looking for an investment a 6 is just dead money in a top level car and why Holden ever built them beats me apart from selling another bum a seat.
They made them for fleets. The mayors and cabinet ministers, maybe the odd airport limo.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
They made them to make money and to ensure Ford didn't get the signature on a contract to buy a vehicle. Holden have done that since day dot when Ford came into this country. It happened as far back as that stupid 161cubic inch 6 cylinder 3 on the column Monaro that should have never been made, thus why the Ford GT's will always command a higher price as you could have a GT any way you wanted as long as it had a V8 under the hood and not some piss fartin' 6 banger in it. That was Holden's playground.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Holden have done that since day dot when Ford came into this country. It happened as far back as that stupid 161cubic inch 6 cylinder 3 on the column Monaro that should have never been made, thus why the Ford GT's will always command a higher price as you could have a GT any way you wanted as long as it had a V8 under the hood and not some piss fartin' 6 banger in it. That was Holden's playground.
Dont forget that current Mustangs are available with 2.3L 4 cylinder engine. A guy i worked with many years ago had a XB coupe with original 200ci engine. Plenty of old 6cyl Mustangs still around.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/ford/mustang/6-cylinders/

Last edited:

iPaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman S2 V6
IMG_20191126_181444.jpg

export1594409368059.jpg

export1594409657061.jpg

6 or 8 ?....
Who cares?
If it's in good nick jump on it...