Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden VRII Commodore. Would a VP or a VS engine fit into it?

CommodoreMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive S1
Anyway I ended up ringing the Commodore Shop and they have reconditioned ones. $495 with 6 months warranty and support or $595 with 2 years warranty and support. Better prices than I was expecting (I was expecting to pay up to the $800-1000 mark)

Man really that's it, mate I must of been smoking something, I thought reco engines cost $2000 or something :p. Might be a good idea to go with the commodore shop, they sound respectable enough $595 2 year warranty sounds good.

doyab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive V6
i might be wrong but isnt there some law that doesnt allow you to put engines in older then the original one?

alex2_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Sedan Auto
Mate also try hytech parts plus in cardiff, they seem to be the better bunch to be honest (and usually better prices anyway). That being said they don't always have older stuff as they really only have low km parts ...

And i agree, the VS conversion probably isn't worth it.

nf_vrII

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 Ford AU II Falcon
I was just speaking to my mates girlfriend and she has a friend who is looking to sell his VS sedan. The gearbox is stuffed but as my mates girlfriend suggested, take the gearbox out of the VR and put it into the VS. Everything else on the car is fine, the body has a few minor dents though. The car will have to be blueslip checked (my VR will probably end up like that anyway as I don't see me having it fixed within the next 3-4 Months). Then sell the VR without the gearbox and the stuffed engine.

What do you guys reckon? In my opinion it is definitely a cheaper and more affordable option as I found out today to have a mechanic put the engine into the VR its about $800-1000 where as my mate knows how to take the gearbox out of the VR and install it into the VS

Somethin to think about.

Last edited:

CommodoreMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive S1
What do you guys reckon? In my opinion it is definitely a cheaper and more affordable option as I found out today to have a mechanic put the engine into the VR its about $800-1000 where as my mate knows how to take the gearbox out of the VR and install it into the VS

is that price with the engine or without.

nf_vrII

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 Ford AU II Falcon
is that price with the engine or without.

without

I highly doubt you need a new engine if it all it was doing was ticking. Get a 3rd opinion...

The ticking noise was coming from the engine (very loud ticking noise) and the car was losing power while driving it last monday night. My mate and his girlfriend went to pick the car up for me yesterday as I'm leaving the car at their place for a while. My mates girlfriend drove it back (with the mechanics "ok") and she was driving inbetween 40-60 and it was still losing power.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
how'd u go sourcing another vr engine? any luck?

nf_vrII

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 Ford AU II Falcon
how'd u go sourcing another vr engine? any luck?

Yep the Commodore shop sell them for 495 with 6 months warranty and support or for 595 with 2 years warranty and support. I'll be paying $595 with the 2 years warranty just to be on the safe side :thumbsup:

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
yea no probs good price and the warranty u cant beat.

they gonna replace it for u, or will u attempt it? if u have the tools n engine crane, give it a crack, good way to learn