Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden VRII Commodore. Would a VP or a VS engine fit into it?

nf_vrII

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 Ford AU II Falcon
yea no probs good price and the warranty u cant beat.

they gonna replace it for u, or will u attempt it? if u have the tools n engine crane, give it a crack, good way to learn

I'm most likely going to have the mechanics do it, otherwise my mate and I could put it in when he's free to.

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Anyway I ended up ringing the Commodore Shop and they have reconditioned ones. $495 with 6 months warranty and support or $595 with 2 years warranty and support. Better prices than I was expecting (I was expecting to pay up to the $800-1000 mark)

:thumbsup:

Hey mate i was just wondering i have a vr wagon and my engine has a real bad rattle and occasionally runs on 5 cylinders especially in the mornings but sometimes not.. the mechanic cant find whats wrong with it. so i was just wondering if you would be able to let me know where this commodore shop is it would be a great help as i have been quoted 2700 for a reco engine/

VP-Matty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII V6 Auto Berlina Wagon
Hey Pickle

The Commodore Shop is in Cardiff which is in the Newcastle area. As Alex mentioned above, maybe Hytech Parts Plus are another option. They are in Cardiff as well.

Cheers, Matt.

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Hey matty just got the message ill give them a call on monday thanks alot for the help.

zendog78

Reaction score
Members Ride
None yet
Is this price for a short or long motor?
I am in Melbourne, any thoughts on somebody down here?
What do you rekon it would cost to get someone to do the switch for you?
I guess I would need new intake exhaust gaskets. Injectors maybe?

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Is this price for a short or long motor?
I am in Melbourne, any thoughts on somebody down here?
What do you rekon it would cost to get someone to do the switch for you?
I guess I would need new intake exhaust gaskets. Injectors maybe?

Hey mate this is the quote for the whole engine + manifolds also comes with injectors but no accesories. also it is not reconditioned its second hand and there pretty serious about the warranty i just drove from sydeny up there to get one last weekend and fitted it. it will probly cost you 500-800 to get someone to fit for you its not really worth it mate you should just shout a mate or 2 a carton and get them to give you a hand its really not hard to change over. you just need the right tools. if your going to get someone to fit it you should probably just fork out the little bit extra to get a reco fully installed with 3 years warranty ask around. any questions just ask. i hope i helped.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
i can't believe that there's mechanics around that can't find the problem. I take it you did check for error codes and checking basics before going to extremes of changing the engine, checked oil, coolant etc etc?

nf_vrII

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 Ford AU II Falcon
Forgot about this thread!

Update: The car is gone. Found out there was alot more wrong with it than me & my mate originally thought. The car is full of rust! The suspension is f**ked and a whole heap of other things. To get the car back into a good working state, it would probably cost quite a bit (money I don't have). So I've given my mate a few parts and another mate is buying a few parts off me.

So thats $1500 gone!

Lesson learned: NEVER EVER LOOK AT A CAR AT NIGHT TIME EVER AGAIN!

I'll get another VR Eventually, probably even a VP. Right now I'm stuck with a 95 Hyundai Sonata (4 Cylinder). Hate it but its gettin me from A to B for the moment.

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
What a shame...

I only paid $510 for my VR on eBay, but it did not have a ticking noise it had a knock.
Used a Holden VL to tow the VR from Wollongong to Newcastle, now that was scary going 40KPH up Bulli pass and then fish tailing it down Bulli Pass.

Anyway I ended up getting another VR engine from Cardiff Auto Wreckers for around $1400 installed.

Runs smooth now with only a rattle, which I hope is only the air con as the rattle noise stops when it is running.

Done 400k with $50 of fuel From Newcastle to Hurstville and back to Newcastle (NSW).

Last edited:

nf_vrII

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 Ford AU II Falcon
Long overdue update.

As soon as I was about to buy an engine for the VR (which I had to sell one of my guitars for!), my mate (ex mate now) and I did a check over of the car...Now we didn't notice this when I first bought it (as it was night time and the seller said it was the "only time" i can come check it out). The car was rusted out to the max! Pretty bad. Also I got my P's a week after the car died too so I wasn't too happy that I didn't have a car to drive around in!

Anyway long story short the car is gone now. As a temporary replacement I bought a 95 Hyundai Sonata for $750...drove it around for 6 months. As of April I now own a 1994 VR Executive Series 1 5 Speed Sedan. Much better car and have had no dramas with it! My step cousin was selling it for $3500 but I got it for $2000 with rego till december 30.

It was a shame about the wagon though. $1500 and got ripped off pretty badly. I look back and think "why didn't I have it professionally checked out instead of getting my mate to check it out?" and for the seller of the wagon to say that the car could only be checked out after 6pm, all I can say is...DODGY!!!

Lesson learnt....but an expensive one!