Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden VT Berlina 2k - x symbol in the right hand side of climate control display pan

kas_ma

Reaction score
Members Ride
Berlina VT 2000
Hi Fellows,

I have a Holden VT Berlina 2000 that has start showing x symbol in the right bottom corner of the climate control display panel. User manual says see the Holden dealer as there is some thing wrong with climate control. Air con work fine and i could not see any problem with it.

What does X symbol means?

Just few weeks ago my car had a over heating problem that was fixed by replacing the thermostat, however just two days ago i noticed that thermostat gasket is leaving which i replaced by myself but there is one thing i do not know if the screw on the top of thermostat cover (that release the air) needs to be tight or bit loose?

Does thermostat issue have any thing with above X symbol?

Any help on this would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Kas

brad_m_is

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais
the air bleed needs to be tight after you have bled the system

and the x on the climate control means one of the sensors or something is not working correctly. i had this problem and after holden trying to tell me there was nothing wrong i figured out that it was just a bad connection where the climate control panel plugs in. so if i was you just take out the climate control panel and try unplugging it and plugging it back in. i found i had to bend the pins on the back of it a tiny bit so they made better contact with the plugs. since then ive never had the X come up again. if that doesnt fix it one of the sensors or something might be broken

kas_ma

Reaction score
Members Ride
Berlina VT 2000
Thanks for your reply.

OK that makes sense as i suspect its outside temp sensor is not sensing any thing and it has stuck on 22 since 7 this morning, i will keep monitoring it toward tonight to see if it changes. If it does not than it will sure be an outside temp sensor issue.
Do you know how to change and where to locate outside temp sensor?

Cheers,
kas

GIJoel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Hey guys, my climate control has got that x on the bottom right as OP did, at first I was only getting air through window and feet, now it doesn't even go cold. Salesman had it regassed before I picked it up, everything worked sweet for about a month. Around time of fail I had a blue LED conversion, not 100% on whether faults occurred before or after this.

I've checked the electrical plug at the back of climate control, pins seem to be making a connection, I've checked the vacuum hose (the thin one from firewall) which appears to be intact (no cracks, all joins air tight).

No clue what to do. How much would it cost to get a professional to fix it?

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
That "X" is a Sensor Mulfunction Indicator.If a sensor open circuits due to an electrical connector disconnection or damaged wire,an "X" will appear on the right side of the ECC module LCD display.Meaning;this is an indication that a fault is present in a sensor output signal.Tech-2 will pinpoint it.

theghostoftime1978

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 vt berlina series 1 V6
Hi Fellows,

I have a Holden VT Berlina 2000 that has start showing x symbol in the right bottom corner of the climate control display panel. User manual says see the Holden dealer as there is some thing wrong with climate control. Air con work fine and i could not see any problem with it.

What does X symbol means?

Just few weeks ago my car had a over heating problem that was fixed by replacing the thermostat, however just two days ago i noticed that thermostat gasket is leaving which i replaced by myself but there is one thing i do not know if the screw on the top of thermostat cover (that release the air) needs to be tight or bit loose?

Does thermostat issue have any thing with above X symbol?

Any help on this would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Kas

i have this happen with my vt berlina a couple years go. It fixed itself after i changed the abs control module. Do you get warning lights on the dash with engine light or traction off light?

bricat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 Calais 5.7 A4
If you read above it is most likely O/S air temp sensor located infront of radiator. Open it up and check for water marks inside plug. Clean with wd 40 or similiar