Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden VX - Smoke coming from left side of Engine (somewhere round headgasket)

keithy111

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Holden Caprice 2006
Just brought a 2000 Holden Commodore VX ! It runs great, its my first car, and has some small issues being only a $2100 car. It has a bit of smoke coming out of left side of engine, I believe it may be oil leaking from headgaskets... I dont know, thats what a mate of mine said, if its just that, how much will it cost to repair? And should it be done soon?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Clean the engine down thoroughly and then have a look to see exactly where it's coming from.

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
Check the Rocker cover for leaking oil onto exhaust or egr valve pipe at the rear of passenger side of block is not broken ( silver crinkly looking one )

keithy111

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Holden Caprice 2006
What should i use to give engine a thorough clean?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Degreaser and a hose (some sort of scrubbing brush if it's really stubborn to aid the degreaser to penetrate).

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Few cans a cheapo degreaser. Unload them onto engine and let soak for a while then hose off. Just be careful not to hose any electrical bits with too much vigour.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
and dont spray the degreaser on the engine and try to wash it while the engines hot...it goes without saying, but i have heard of people hosing down their engine because its overheated :hmmm:

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
and dont spray the degreaser on the engine and try to wash it while the engines hot...it goes without saying, but i have heard of people hosing down their engine because its overheated :hmmm:

Why not? If it was summer or a turbo'd engine with glowing headers i'd think twice.
A normal engine should be below the autoignition point of anything in a can, if you vaporise it and stand next to it with a lit dart then darwin wins.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I'd pick rocker gaskets , you can get a set cheap enough as they are sold as a pair , it's best to clean the engine while it's warm as well , let the degreaser penetrate for few minutes , use your wife or girl friends tooth brush and scrub around the hard to get to spots .