Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden VZ SSV Snapping Wheel Studs

Coops3690

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hey guys,

so recently I moved to Canberra for uni and the day before I left I finally decided to put my VE SSV rims on my VZ SV6 they had been machined when I bought them so thought nothing of it and put them on including the original VZ nuts. Car drove fine until we got into Canberra and felt a vibration in the rear passenger side, pulled over and snapped probably about 5mm of wheel stud just enough for the nut not to go back on... so I’ve read all up on it finding out about the 2mm difference in diameter of wheel stud between the VE and VZ and about tapered wheel studs you can buy I’m just wondering since it was literally the first drive on the rims if this could be a reoccurring issue or not even if I change wheel nuts all all that

cheers

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
Go out and buy some Ford Mondeo/Focus wheel nuts as they have a larger taper surface area so will hold the vf wheel better than the standard or even aftermarket nuts

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Get the correct wheelnuts. You can get them from Holmart for under $100. Its the same OD as the VE M14 nuts, but in the M12 thread to suit the VB-Z studs and fit correctly

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Get a decent magnifying glass ($10 iphone clip on is good enough) and do some investigating. Use a website like this to identify the reason for the failure. It might save you another wheel stud failing/wheel falling off in the future.

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2014/03/13/diagnose-common-fastener-failures/

Obviously check all other wheels/studs closely for similar damage and make sure you torque the wheel nuts to the correct tension, with a drop of oil or smear of grease squashed into the threads.

Last edited:

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
shurce vz ve whell nuts im sure there might be some pics, I have ssv 19x275x35 on my vt no prob

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Get the correct wheelnuts. You can get them from Holmart for under $100. Its the same OD as the VE M14 nuts, but in the M12 thread to suit the VB-Z studs and fit correctly
Holmart? In america?