Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden VZ sunglasses holder wiring question

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Hey guys someone here might be able to let me know I am installing a VZ sunnie holder with lights into a magna and would like to know how the wiring would need to be set up, in other words the five wires in the light what is each going to as in power and earth.
IMG_1570_zpsfcd28815.jpg

the wires are as follows
Red with black trace going to the end pin on each of the globes then to the connector
Green wire going to the cup bit that holds the globe then to the connector
Yellow wire going to the switch I think for the off posision then to the connector
Blue wire to switch possible for the door setting then back to connector
Red wire to the switch for I would say on setting then to the connector

I basic would like to know what the wires would need to be joined to to get the switch to work when the way I have at moment is joined onto the exsisting roof interior light that has I think power going to light and earth back any help please cheers

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
the way i look at it, both end wires, green for earth and red/black trace would be power. then you have 3 other wires. off would be a seperate setting where the switch would go into a position where its not making contact at all. one of the three would be a feed in power, the other 2 would be constant on and door.
you have a difficult problem where the centre console light is controlled by the body control module. so it would mean that without this, you will need to tap into the circuit in your car to enable the door and constant on functions. will have a think about it and let you know what i come up with. at worst you could tap into the existing centre console light wiring and get the 2 globes functioning.

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Ok if its any help I pulled the sunnies holder down on the VZ wagon the mrs has and used the test light in the wiring to check what it does on each switch. I used the test light on the holder side of the connector to check and found the following,
with the switch turned off the green wire had +, Yellow -, Blue had -, red had + and the red with black trace had +
with switch turned on the green had +, Yellow -, Blue -, red had - and red with black trace had -
with the switch turned to doors with doors closed I got green +, Yellow -, blue +, red+, and red with black trace +
and switched to door with door open got the green +, Yellow -, blue -, red - and red with black trace -
So with that im thinking ill need to set up a relay in the roof remembering that the wireing in the roof up there is the full red + and red with white trace - running up the a pillar and over to the light in the middle of the roof.
I have tapped into the two wires so far to get the lights to come on with the doors being opened just cant remember what I had joined but I know the switch does nothing at present and would love to have it working correctly and then being able to turn the light on at the holden sunnies holder instead of the middle roof light, this being more brighter when needing light also.
I hope it all seems to make sence what I am needing cheers.

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
OK this is what ive come up with but have not yet tried it out as I would rather have a little confermation first.
IMG_1571_zpse7245c3c.jpg

Now the five wires on the right hand side are the wires to the light and the wires to the left of the white connector are to roof loom wires from holden I need to tap into the Magna two roof wires(Red = Pos and Red / white = neg).
Using the previous post to guide with what I found with the test light I wonder if this idea will work
From the light side the Red / Black wire to join the Red wire (yellow to yellow on the loom side possibly also to Positive)
From the light side the Blue wire to the Magna Red / White wire (white wire on the loom side)
From the light side the Yellow wire to Neg
And the green wire to the red magna Pos wire
Does this sound like it will work if your not confussed lol cheers

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Ok guys can anyone tell me what size globes are in the vy vz commodore sunglasses holder and can you get LED versions cheers

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
Ok guys can anyone tell me what size globes are in the vy vz commodore sunglasses holder and can you get LED versions cheers

Ba9s are the globes and yes you can use leds but you have to swap the positive and negative wires in the globe holder or they wont work.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
Nice thread dig mate. Check time and date at top of the last post. From 2013. If he hasnt figured it out by now he never will hahah