Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden warranty coverage + Recall question

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
You're telling him what a load of crap, HA. A load of crap is an engine that has been serviced to manufacturers’ specifications and requires a timing chain at 120k's or earlier. If the chains were designed to be replaced this early, the manufacturer would have included it in the servicing requirements. Also if there wasn’t a known issue, then it’s unlikely that Holden would have footed the bill for this, so by them accepting this out of warranty claim they are acknowledging that they had a problem with the chain in this engine.

They dont deny that there is a problem with chains in certain early build VE Alloytec Engines. What i said, if you had read it without getting your panties in a twist was that in this particular case, the closeness to warranty period and low km's of the car all helped for Holden to be swayed into a goodwill decision.

If you go into your Holden Dealer with a 06 build VE, with 180,000km's on the clock and ask for Warranty, you will be turned away and they wont even think twice about goodwill. It's called a NEW CAR WARRANTY for a reason.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
What a load of crap. Only CERTAIN cars have faults. Not every single car during that period. You got lucky that your car was A) Close to Warranty and B) Had low KM's.

Telling people that they should fight for their chains to be fixed is misleading, sometimes you do need to take No for an answer.

what a load of crap...
the problem is common...and it's only matter if time before more and more cars come back with this problem
This clearly is a design fault and there is no need to be an idiot about it...
The problem is that it would cost Holden too much to recall this as opposed to plastic clips and **** they recall and costs them 50c
I think people should start a petition or action of some sort..
Every few weeks this topic comes up..
Imagine all poor bastards that have no clue about it and cop 3000 bill !

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Based on my research timing chain faults also seems to be related to service intervals...

Can people that had this problem provide some details about frequency of service they do on their car and type of engine oil ?

stellabella

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz executive
our car was serviced to the book every six months... its a vz 2005 Exectutive and because the timing chain needs replacing (with no warning lights or indications) other than the fact it wouldn't start - we've been quoted $5000 to put in a reconditioned motor.... I will definately be contacting holden - as this is ridiculous for a six year old car, we might as well scrap it...

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
our car was serviced to the book every six months... its a vz 2005 Exectutive and because the timing chain needs replacing (with no warning lights or indications) other than the fact it wouldn't start - we've been quoted $5000 to put in a reconditioned motor.... I will definately be contacting holden - as this is ridiculous for a six year old car, we might as well scrap it...

Holden will just laugh at you. As would any other manufacturer.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

How many km are on the car???

Reaper

stellabella

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz executive
152 000 and holden are looking at it but have made it very clear any payment they make will be be a 'goodwill gesture'

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67

Have you tried getting quotes for timing chain/engine replacement from other workshops? Holden is the last place I'd be going to if it was me. They seem to charge double what any other workshop would and stuff people around in the process

kwaka738

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY09 Berlina Sportwagon
152 000 and holden are looking at it but have made it very clear any payment they make will be be a 'goodwill gesture'

I have had some luck with getting Ford (that is Ford Australia not just the Ford dealer) to replace an item outside of warranty. In Ford's letter they said the payment was a 'good will' gesture. I think they say that so the flood gates don't open for everyone to get into them. Things that definitely help with your case is the fact that you have had your car religiously serviced every 6 months. They love that sort of loyalty and there is a chance it will pay off here. They may not pay for the full job but they will most likely offer you a reasonable deal. It pays to be polite but don't roll over either. Good luck with them.