Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden warranty / rust

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Wheel studs can be tightened relatively easily, although our entitled generations seem unable to do this on their own. The way this reads, just tighten the wheel nuts until the studs are properly seated, this seems too easy.

Yes they can, but it has to be checked that the spline isn't damaged on the stud or the seat area.....So whether the person doing the job checks this area or not has to be seen

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Late I know; but this sort of thing has been seen on the vehicles snuck into NSW that were in the QLD floods....
Yep agree, so they also had a coating of moisture for an extended period, same as the ZBs which were "new old stock". Sitting in the weather at the back of a dealership or on a ship deck.
Write-offs really.

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 Auto Ute, 2013 VF SV6 Auto Sedan.
Just had a look under the dash in the RSV
Mine has a little bit of this as well, but nowhere near as much
Seems its only various light gauge brackets that support the dash and pedal box, not the firewall for example
I think what they did was in effect spot or press weld some light gauge galvanised (or similar) steel and burned off the protective layer
I've had similar before but less extensive again in my old AU2XR8
Given not exposed to the elements should propagate very slowly if at all and could probably be stopped fairly easily with some rust converter or even just sand back lightly and paint it with cold gal, probably what I'll do. Although by rights Holden should probably do yours for you to make up for feeding you the old 'that's normal' line
I don't think I'd be worried to the extent of thinking the car will become unserviceable - the body itself should properly galvanised and painted I think
Has anyone had a look under the dash of a VE or VF?
All is good with my 2013 VF SV6 regarding paintwork an excellent job....after 2 years I looked under passenger's seat not the driver's seat and the whole seat frame was rusted in quite a number of places.....drivers seat was ok...….Holden replaced the whole seat frame at no cost.....look under your seats and if you can remove the rear seat cushion......check for further rust in the ZB!

arsevee

Reaction score
Members Ride
RS-V Sportwagon
This looks like rust caused by metal differential electrolysis; two dissimilar metals in contact will cause rusting. If so, this is down to the choice of materials by GM and has nothing to do with moisture ingress; you have to store a car outside for a long time before you get internal water damage - your paint will have suffered before this happens.

Contrary to what the stealership maintain, it's not 'normal', but can happen. It's not going to cause the car to fall apart, but does need to be addressed - at the very least it needs to be cleaned, treated with rust convertor and checked regularly - it's impossible to tell when the electrolysis will run it's course - it may have stopped, it may continue, there's no real way to tell...

And as others have said, it's not your responsibility, it's for the manufacturer or their agents to address.

Keep us updated please...

Last edited: