Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden warranty / rust

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just returning to the topic of fuel prices briefly. I'll be buggard, fuel has dropped by 2-3cpl. We were told a week ago expect a price hike, yet the opposite has happened, go figure.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Just returning to the topic of fuel prices briefly. I'll be buggard, fuel has dropped by 2-3cpl. We were told a week ago expect a price hike, yet the opposite has happened, go figure.
Is this a Channel 7 forecast?
I only listen to the ABC - its the demographic I think I'm in. Except for their leftist attitude.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Radio or Southern Cross. The news was that petrol was supposed to go up. Probably scare tatics.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Wouldn't say that....Yes, I'm of this generation, but my kids (youngest being 21) are Jimmy fans, due to me flogging this style of music when they were younger.....One of my kids actually bought his album for themselves, despite having access to music streaming options
Sadly I am in Jimmy's age group too.
My children appreciate alternative music of that era - you know, when they played instaruments and didn't use autotune.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
In the HQ days, rust was a standard feature though. Modern cars are generally far more rust resistant, even in those non-critical areas. I think the reply from Holden to the OP spells out the company's attitude. They really don't care.

You totally missed my point that the non-critical, vaguely structural interior parts of all cars for decades are basically made from the same, non-treated type of metal and thus, surface rust. The big improvements in modern cars has been in chassis and panel protection. No car manufacturer is even thinking about guarding against surface rust on a hidden dash structure.

I don't find Holden's reply as arrogant as it's being made out to be.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
You totally missed my point that the non-critical, vaguely structural interior parts of all cars for decades are basically made from the same, non-treated type of metal and thus, surface rust. The big improvements in modern cars has been in chassis and panel protection. No car manufacturer is even thinking about guarding against surface rust on a hidden dash structure.

I don't find Holden's reply as arrogant as it's being made out to be.
Nup. You missed mine. Unprotected steel was fine in 1971. Holdens had rusted for years and the HQ had more than its fair share of rust traps. GM might think its OK these days too, but other manufacturers have a different view. My four year old Captiva has no rust under the dash or around non structural units that I have found and it's one of those horrid Korean built GM products everyone likes to bag.

My point is this. The OP stated he has had his car for only nine months and has found extensive surface rust in various locations. Since when is rust acceptable in 2019, even if not structural? It's not. Full stop. It displays a casual, almost indifferent attitude to product quality and Holden's reply reinforces that attitude IMO and for a company that is slowly sinking out of sight, it's lamentable.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Well I'd say that GM aren't the only ones with such views in 2019.

Many out there feel that if it's not seen don't worry about it and especially if it's not critical over the next 5 years.

Tell me why all the once proud electronics manufacturers such as Panasonic, Sony etc. that had a great reputations now only make gear to last around 3 to 5 years tops with no headroom in their componentry and also with no spare parts availability either, try getting a replacement LCD panel for a broken TV. It's easy, it's because the item will be obsolete within 5 years and it's called come in and buy another. The younger generation have already accepted this way of thinking and the manufacturers don't consider us dinosaurs who'll be gone in the next 20 odd years or not considering their products anyway.

Sorry calaber but that's the way of the world, whether you're prepared to accept that or not is of no consequence to them.

And talking 2019, the words "Fit for Purpose" is the way of 2019 and beyond.

tuckerbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300

Many out there feel that if it's not seen don't worry about it and especially if it's not critical over the next 5 years.

Tell me why all the once proud electronics manufacturers such as Panasonic, Sony etc. that had a great reputations now only make gear to last around 3 to 5 years tops with no headroom in their componentry and also with no spare parts availability either, try getting a replacement LCD panel for a broken TV. It's easy, it's because the item will be obsolete within 5 years and it's called come in and buy another. The younger generation have already accepted this way of thinking and the manufacturers don't consider us dinosaurs who'll be gone in the next 20 odd years or not considering their products anyway.

Sorry calaber but that's the way of the world, whether you're prepared to accept that or not is of no consequence to them.

Well if holden want to sell us garbage at least they could make it look decent

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

Just because more than one manufacturer thinks it is acceptable doesn't make it so. Tantamount to saying that coz some people do mth its OK for everyone else to do meth.

Also, you can't compare the lifespan of a $2 - $3k TV with that of a $30k + vehicle....that is a ridiculus proposition.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Nup. You missed mine. Unprotected steel was fine in 1971. Holdens had rusted for years and the HQ had more than its fair share of rust traps. GM might think its OK these days too, but other manufacturers have a different view. My four year old Captiva has no rust under the dash or around non structural units that I have found and it's one of those horrid Korean built GM products everyone likes to bag.

My point is this. The OP stated he has had his car for only nine months and has found extensive surface rust in various locations. Since when is rust acceptable in 2019, even if not structural? It's not. Full stop. It displays a casual, almost indifferent attitude to product quality and Holden's reply reinforces that attitude IMO and for a company that is slowly sinking out of sight, it's lamentable.

Sigh... my point (that you're still missing) is that ALL vehicles (whether a 1970s HQ or a 2019 ZB) use un-treated metal in hidden, interior applications such as behind a dash. Finding surface rust is on these out-of-sight components is perfectly normal, if not universal in the case of your Captiva. No doubt environment would also play a part, such as a ZB sitting on a ship for two weeks...

Can you imagine how costly a new vehicle would be if every screw, bracket, dash support brace etc was treated, plated, painted or chromed?