Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden warranty / rust

kos

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Lt
What are the ZB,s like on tyres? I guess rotation would be vital to a reasonable tyre life?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Touchy lot you zb salesmen
Nup. We're just fed up with your Negative Ned ****. VC's right. You don't like the ZB. Fine. You're not alone, but your endless, infantile and uneducated "contributions" are totally predictable and as boring as bat ****.
If you can't contribute sensible, useful comments to the forum, why are you here?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Nup. We're just fed up with your Negative Ned ****. VC's right. You don't like the ZB. Fine. You're not alone, but your endless, infantile and uneducated "contributions" are totally predictable and as boring as bat ****.
If you can't contribute sensible, useful comments to the forum, why are you here?

Yeah !!, What he said !!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
What are the ZB,s like on tyres? I guess rotation would be vital to a reasonable tyre life?

Not sure what they are like on tyres as I haven't had one to replace a set yet.....

Rotating tyres on all cars helps with tyre life, so yes it is vital to reasonable life

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

I'm starting to think, he went to trade his VY in on a ZB and the salesman offered him $500 for it as a trade....Hence his instant dislike of ZB's and Holden salesmen

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Tried to claim on warranty, sent them letter also with reference to ACL and guide from consumer affairs and the response from Holden.

"As discussed over the phone I have sent the picture of the concerned area to Holden and their response was that it is not an uncommon scenario with this or any other manufacturer to have surface rust which is not affecting the integrity of mentioned part so therefore will not be covered under warranty."

Any ideas where too next?
Back to rust in ZBs here. Although the side discussion re Tuckerbag was amusing.
I see the best options are:
  • An expose on TV current affairs programs - messy and prone to exaggeration from all parties. Maybe will help you but may also be an unpleasant experience.
  • Treat affected areas with Phosphoric acid based rust converter. Be careful of your eyes and skin (gloves, goggles). Accessing all affected areas may be an issue here.
  • Wire brush rusted areas to bare metal and paint all areas you can access with zinc paint (cold gal).
  • Get rid of the car after say 5 years and let someone else deal with the rust.

Rpdm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais V
So I checked under the drivers side also where I could access and found more on that side.

I also received a reply from Holden today who advised the below. So I've got no where with them. what are my next steps?

Consumer affairs? News outlet? Civil action?

Part of Holden's reply.

"Holden uses a large variery of materials in the manufacture of vehicles.
Many of these components undergo an extensive corrosion protection
process. These components include major underbody structures,
powertrain, wiring and electrical components and various other areas of
the vehic e. General Motors engineering determines the effects of
corrosion on every vehicle component.

Holden has determined that the performance of some components is
not affected by surface corrosion and no longer takes preventative
steps on these parts. This corrosion may be red or brown in appearance
if the components is made of steel, forged iron or cast iron.

Surface corrosion on unprotected components will vary with age and
exposure. Corrosion on these components has no detrimental impact,
either in short or long-term durability. Given the above, Holden are
unable to accede to your request for assistance in removing the corrosion from your vehicle.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190613-201836_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190613-201836_Gallery.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 235
  • Screenshot_20190613-201825_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190613-201825_Gallery.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 207
  • Screenshot_20190613-201813_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190613-201813_Gallery.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 206
  • Screenshot_20190613-201804_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190613-201804_Gallery.jpg