Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden warranty / rust

tuckerbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300
So I checked under the drivers side also where I could access and found more on that side.

I also received a reply from Holden today who advised the below. So I've got no where with them. what are my next steps?

Consumer affairs? News outlet? Civil action?

Part of Holden's reply.

"Holden uses a large variery of materials in the manufacture of vehicles.
Many of these components undergo an extensive corrosion protection
process. These components include major underbody structures,
powertrain, wiring and electrical components and various other areas of
the vehic e. General Motors engineering determines the effects of
corrosion on every vehicle component.

Holden has determined that the performance of some components is
not affected by surface corrosion and no longer takes preventative
steps on these parts. This corrosion may be red or brown in appearance
if the components is made of steel, forged iron or cast iron.

Surface corrosion on unprotected components will vary with age and
exposure. Corrosion on these components has no detrimental impact,
either in short or long-term durability. Given the above, Holden are
unable to accede to your request for assistance in removing the corrosion from your vehicle.
That reply from holden stinks. In my opinion that rust is well on the way to being a major problem

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Their response is what I expected from Holden. It may well be true and that's the kind of manufacturing standards Opel operate to. Still sucks though.
Keep the letter from them and the photos in a safe place and if it ever becomes more than surface rust then go after them then.

You would probably have to get a 3rd party (engineer??) to inspect it and do a report on it before going down the path of civil action or going to ACA etc.

Send John Cadogan (Auto expert) a message and some photos on you tube. He'd love it.

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I don't think I could ever accept such a pathetic admission from a manufacturer in 2019. "We deliberately decided that certain parts of our products can rust from day one with absolute certainty without affecting the safety of your car".

Tough luck about resale value though.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I don't think I could ever accept such a pathetic admission from a manufacturer in 2019. "We deliberately decided that certain parts of our products can rust from day one with absolute certainty without affecting the safety of your car".

Tough luck about resale value though.

Indeed, it is a disgrace.

In fact, those with this issue might like to remind Holden of the court enforceable undertaking they gave to the ACCC promising to stop fcuking people over - https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/holden-undertakes-to-comply-with-consumer-guarantees

And the undertaking itself here - https://www.accc.gov.au/public-regi...kings-register/gm-holden-ltd-s87b-undertaking (click the link at the bottom for the signed doc)

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
So I checked under the drivers side also where I could access and found more on that side.

I also received a reply from Holden today who advised the below. So I've got no where with them. what are my next steps?

Consumer affairs? News outlet? Civil action?

Part of Holden's reply.

either in short or long-term durability (whilst the vehicle is covered by the manufacturers warranty) and therefore. Given the above, Holden are
unable to accede to your request for assistance in removing the corrosion from your vehicle.

Part of Holden's reply.

either in short or long-term durability (whilst the vehicle is covered by the manufacturers warranty) and therefore. Given the above, Holden are
unable to accede to your request for assistance in removing the corrosion from your vehicle"

I fixed it for Holden. ******* cop out that is. The pic of the bracket wit the bolt/nut is structural, an engineer will fail that when it becomes more than just surface rust.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
How do they explain corrosion like that on internal surfaces that, under normal conditions, would not be exposed to water? My point was that there could be other corrosion not yet found which WILL affect the safety of the car eventually. Rust in modern cars is just no longer acceptable, full stop. No wonder Holden is having trouble selling their products these days. Their attitude towards customers absolutely stinks.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Looking at the pics again, I'd suggest the metal does have some sort of protective coating on it from when the steel sheets were originally manufactured however the coating has failed when the metal has been worked and in particular where it has gotten hot from welding and the sheet metal stamping process.

Anyway the above statement is complete rubbish, Holden doesn't manufacture squat, they are solely an importer. That whole statement is premised on a lie (GM/Holden starting to sound like the Trump chump).

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I totally agree with all of the above statements, but as cars now basically have a lifespan of 5 years and not 35 or longer they are manufactured under the guise of "Fit for Purpose" which is what most manufacturers hide behind. Rest assured in 35 years no one will be thinking along these lines..................."I think I'm going to restore a ZB".

It's just not going to happen, nor will fossil fuel be around to operate the vehicle on as they'll all be electric by then. Australia is way behind in Electric vehicles opposed to Europe and it won't be long until we here in Australia will be "Forced" to make the change just like we were forced to accept music CD's when the record companies decided the only way to change people's buying habits of vinyl records was to simply stop making them.

Looking at the bigger picture and no I'm not a GM representative in any way, but the rust you are seeing on those components will not escalate to much more in our Australian conditions and thus will never affect the integrity of the componentry and what it's used for within the next 5 years.

In actual fact there are many Japanese made vehicles that had the exact same issues as depicted in the photo's above and many of those vehicles are still on the road being used daily 20 years later, just ask a 1997 Hilux owner who's pulled their instrument cluster out and had a look in behind there at all the bare steel bracketry, it's absolutely no different.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Sitting on dock for months before sale maybe.