Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden warranty / rust

Rpdm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais V
Hi all I was wondering if anyone has experienced rust on there new Holden ZB commodore? I have rust on my car, 9 months old, on every weld inside the car, couple of photos attached. I've been told by Holden this is normal.

Thoughts?
Comments?
Warranty claim?
Defect?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190603-132809_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190603-132809_Gallery.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 900
  • Screenshot_20190603-132727_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190603-132727_Gallery.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 917
  • Screenshot_20190603-132759_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190603-132759_Gallery.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 817

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
That's not normal. My 24 year old vs doesn't have rust like that on interior panels at all....

I'd take it further. Not what you want on a new car. BUT it does beg the question - why have you pulled the interior apart? Water damage?

Rpdm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais V
The fuse case fell off when I opened the glove box and when to put it back and noticed the rust then. The car is 9 months old, but I'm the 1st owner had the car less than 3 weeks

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Hi all I was wondering if anyone has experienced rust on there new Holden ZB commodore? I have rust on my car, 9 months old, on every weld inside the car, couple of photos attached. I've been told by Holden this is normal.

Thoughts?
Comments?
Warranty claim?
Defect?

Thanks
This will get worse over time, once it starts it is insidious. I recall Toyota's scab rust problems in New Zealand some years ago, where over time panels perforated.
Unsure how they will repair it, depending on extent.
They may claim there is water damage that occured after selling it to you and within the 3 weeks. Which is very unlikely.
Water damage prior to sale to you is a completely different matter and needs to be corrected. Maybe sitting on a ship or out the back of a dealer, close to the coast?
Time to test the warranty.
edit: check out rust here https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/another-recall.271426/#post-3026127

Last edited:

tuckerbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300
This will get worse over time, once it starts it is insidious. I recall Toyota's scab rust problems in New Zealand some years ago, where over time panels perforated.
Unsure how they will repair it, depending on extent.
They may claim there is water damage that occured after selling it to you and within the 3 weeks. Which is very unlikely.
Water damage prior to sale to you is a completely different matter and needs to be corrected. Maybe sitting on a ship or out the back of a dealer, close to the coast?
Time to test the warranty.
edit: check out rust here https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/another-recall.271426/#post-3026127
The old gm pox. Water leaks, rust, things falling off. Dealer saying it’s normal. Yep nothings changed

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Dealer saying it's normal is what's most concerning. Getting reamed by the ACCC doesn't seem to have changed anything.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Rust of that nature in a modern car is totally unacceptable. I would be demanding either a new vehicle or refund - no company can expect a customer to accept that typre of defect as it indicates the body somehow missed out on the factory rust prevention process. Who knows where else this could be occurring that you haven't found yet? That isn't just water leakage, it's bare steel, and lots of it. As the dealer is typically passing it off as normal, go up the chain and see the dealer principal, the owner of the business. If still not satisfied, the Zone Manager is next, but DO NOT ACCEPT ANY EXCUSES FOR INACTION. From what your pics reveal, that vehicle is unfit for sale and should be replaced, not patched up.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon

Thoughts?
Comments?
Warranty claim?
Defect?

Thanks

Very concerning!

Maybe you can post an easy-to-check-spot so that other ZB owners can also check. It would be good to know if they are all like that, or whether your car somehow missed a step along the production line.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Rust of that nature in a modern car is totally unacceptable.

Yes, it is not 1968, when completed, undercoated, bare body shells were left outside until needed.
I accepted that my HK only lasted 5 years, because rust was common back then. Not anymore.

Rpdm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais V
Thanks all, it's all the metal and welds under the dash just look up when in drivers or passenger footwell.

Screenshot_20190603-165307_Gallery.jpg