Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden wins taxpayer-funded aid deal

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Holden wins taxpayer-funded aid deal

HOLDEN has secured a $275 million taxpayer assistance package, ensuring it will build two all-new cars in Australia in the second half of this decade.

The car maker has committed $1 billion under the co-investment deal.

GM Holden chairman Mike Devereux said the funding would secure the next generation of Holden cars.

"Co-investment of this kind is critical for our industry and helps Australia compete against other car making countries that protect their industries through tariffs and/or financial support," he said.

The federal government has contributed $215 million from the existing $5.4 billion New Car Plan, with the balance provided by South Australia and Victoria.

Julia Gillard said the deal would inject an estimated $4 billion into the Australian economy and support thousands of jobs across the industry.

"This is a strategic co-investment, this is not a handout," the Prime Minister said.

The federal and Victorian governments will also provide an additional $35 million to help auto components firms move into export markets.

Ms Gillard said if the government had failed to provide assistance to Holden, the company would have closed its Australian operations, in a "knock-out" blow to the manufacturing sector.

She said the business case factored in the Australian dollar continuing at around parity with the US dollar into the future.

Mr Devereaux said the impact of the looming carbon tax on vehicle production was also considered.

The partnership will see Holden making cars in Australia until at least 2022, retaining domestic manufacturing, design and engineering operations.

Holden said the two new Holden models would be produced in Elizabeth, in South Australia.

South Australian Premier Jay Weatherill said the car maker's future was vital to the state's manufacturing sector.

"The manufacturing industry must become and advanced manufacturing industry," he said.

"That's why it is essential that we invest in Holden's future and that's why Holden's future is essential to Australia's future."

Holden said it was conscious of the need to deliver a return on investment for Australian taxpayers over the 10-year life of the program.

Mr Devereux said the industry needed the investment to retain its ability to design, engineer and build cars.

"Co-investment of this kind is critical for our industry," he said.

"Australia does not compete on a level playing field and without co-investment this country would struggle to attract new capital investment.

"Be assured, this is a very sound investment and we are being very conservative."

The new vehicles will utilise new fuel-saving technologies and more efficient engines, transmissions and drive trains.

Mr Devereux said Australia would be part of the "global reality" of the car industry, working on developing new technologies that might not even be used in Australian cars.

"We will be much more tightly connected to GM's international operations," he said.

"Gone are the days when you can engineer a car for one country and hope for that to be economically feasible, so we'll be putting our engineering and design talent to work as they already are.

"We'll continue to work on global products in this country and, as Prime Minister Gillard said, be part of that new reality in the global industry."

Industry Minister Greg Combet said the shift to global vehicle platforms would apply pressure to Australia's car components industry, but it would also provide opportunities to become part of new global supply chains.

Without the investment, GM had warned it would leave Australia by 2016.

The federal and Victorian governments and Ford entered into a co-investment deal in January worth around $103 million, to keep the company's Melbourne plant open until at least 2016.

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Series II Sedan Manual & a VK in the build
Job done! The caged lion lives on, all be it on life support.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
it's a good thing.

10 more years of an aussie built car....but by the sounds of it, the commodore locally made is soon going the way of the dodo.
the VF might be the last 'aussie made' big holden car, the future commodores will be rebadged chevs. oh well, at least all the chevy badge lovers will finally be doing something logical with their rebadging of cars.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
it's a good thing.

10 more years of an aussie built car....but by the sounds of it, the commodore locally made is soon going the way of the dodo.
the VF might be the last 'aussie made' big holden car, the future commodores will be rebadged chevs. oh well, at least all the chevy badge lovers will finally be doing something logical with their rebadging of cars.

I wouldn't panic just yet. It's all in the definition of "Australian Made". More than likely when the life of the current Zeta platform is over we will get a heavily reworked body from whatever RWD that Caddilac or some other division is running at the time similar to every Commodore before the VE. The VE is as much Australian made and designed/engineered as any car since the LH Torana. Many claim the HQ but I'd argue that much of that car came from Detroit.

72lemans.jpg

gal-1039_lrg.jpg

There is a chance of FWD but unless attitudes change drastically I doubt it. No large FWD, or even medium for that matter has done much more than mediocre sales in Australia. The problem is that the segment is shrinking but of what sales there are, the Commodore dominates for both large sedan, wagon and LWB limousine niches. As the rest of the world's economies improve (and they will - all be it slowly) the export opportunities will open again. By world standards, volumes will be small but that is more than enough to keep Elizabeth profitable, especially combined with the Cruze as a "filler" model.

Reaper

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
I think it says something about the importance of the Automotive industry when all governments, Labor and liberal, sate and federal (and even with the Greens having one hand on the nations steering wheel) continue to support it. If we stopped making Holden/Ford/Toyota right now I believe we would head towards a recession very quickly and the flow on effects through the economy would be catastrophic.

10 years more of RWD commodores sounds good to me :D

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
$250 mill sounds like a lot of money, probably because it is. In reality though we are talking about a $25mill investment each year to ensure not only the direct jobs at Holden but the 4 - 5x that amount the auto industry indirectly employs in Australia. Australian government investment is actually quite modest compared to most other car making nations.

Reaper

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
If the 1 billion invested back into the country is true, and they can build 2 cars here in that time sounds good.

**** if we go back to opel platforms modified by holden im ok with that. The VE is great and basically the only true car made from the ground up here. But it's way late for its time, and petrol prices hurt it. If that was built back in 97 when the VT came out they would have sold 10,000 a month easy. But same as the 380 it was just out of its time with external pressure.

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
So do US tax payers get a discount on a new Holden now?? What's 1 more tax on a country that's 1 of the highest taxed countries in the world..

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Series II Sedan Manual & a VK in the build
$250 mill sounds like a lot of money, probably because it is. In reality though we are talking about a $25mill investment each year to ensure not only the direct jobs at Holden but the 4 - 5x that amount the auto industry indirectly employs in Australia. Australian government investment is actually quite modest compared to most other car making nations.

Reaper

Modest per capita?

I see the point, I don't see the value

Dave