Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden's New VF Commodore Breaks Cover

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Just out of interest, name one.

Reaper

Mr Devereux would not be drawn on the question of cost.

“We'll talk about pricing of this vehicle as we get close to launch but obviously the car has a significant level of upgrades,” he said.

So the price is going up. Shall we call it starting somewhere close to or upwards of 40 grand?

Choose a VW, any VW.

The Skoda Superb is a great car, innovative in many ways yet still reasonably conservative. Good buying at 42K and up. Or a Yeti - if you prefer an SUV, you can pick one up starting at around 30k if you don't want all wheel drive.

The Aurion is boring but has the (recently a little stained unfortunately) reliability badge called Toyota.

The current Nissan Maxima is a great car, ranging upwards from 38k. Looks pretty good too.

Most of the Koreans walk all over Holden for quality and features now too, that leaves a huge range to choose from.

If you don't want an import, the humble FG still looks great value to me. 36k is hard to beat for an XR6, and the XR6T can be had for 42k.. now there's a bargain.

MR_VX

Forced to be Fast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac SII Raptorcharged
VF GTS anyone? Yes please :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360566407.180871.jpg

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST

“We'll talk about pricing of this vehicle as we get close to launch but obviously the car has a significant level of upgrades,” he said.

So the price is going up. Shall we call it starting somewhere close to or upwards of 40 grand?

Choose a VW, any VW.

The Skoda Superb is a great car, innovative in many ways yet still reasonably conservative. Good buying at 42K and up. Or a Yeti - if you prefer an SUV, you can pick one up starting at around 30k if you don't want all wheel drive.

The Aurion is boring but has the (recently a little stained unfortunately) reliability badge called Toyota.

The current Nissan Maxima is a great car, ranging upwards from 38k. Looks pretty good too.

Most of the Koreans walk all over Holden for quality and features now too, that leaves a huge range to choose from.

If you don't want an import, the humble FG still looks great value to me. 36k is hard to beat for an XR6, and the XR6T can be had for 42k.. now there's a bargain.

I don't agree, personally I wouldn't own most of the cars you have listed... no offence... also i don't know where you got the 42k XR6T from but this is what i found Used Car Research - Used Car Prices - Compare Cars - RedBook.com.au
VW is a bit small and overpriced for what they are;
Skoda I'm not to keen on the way they look personally, and an SUV without AWD is a bit of a let down, i mean otherwise why not just go a wagon?
Aurion is still a boring Toyota with FWD and still no power comparable to a V8 or 6T.
Maxima is also FWD and similar to an Aurion IMO
I think that Holdens have good build quality personally (after pulling apart my interior and a Yaris interior i know which feels more quality), I know some features are a bit behind but I think their putting forward a car with a reasonably competitive points, and while I'm not a huge fan I'm sure it will grow on me, (hell its already started to)

Rory

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
36k is hard to beat for an XR6, and the XR6T can be had for 42k.. now there's a bargain.

XR6-T (sorry closer to 43k @ 42,890 but still..)

VW's aren't much smaller than a Commodore interior wise..

If you are going to include your own personal tastes, then every list would be different. The Skoda's are very well built cars (VW's in disguise) and great value for money. Of course, if the VF suits your tastes, its going to appeal to you more regardless.

A V8 Commodore might be more powerful than an Aurion, but move away from 6's and move into a more expensive market.. and as for front wheel drive, also not my preference but that doesn't mean it doesn't fit into the market we are discussing.

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
36k is hard to beat for an XR6, and the XR6T can be had for 42k.. now there's a bargain.

XR6-T (sorry closer to 43k @ 42,890 but still..)

VW's aren't much smaller than a Commodore interior wise..

If you are going to include your own personal tastes, then every list would be different. The Skoda's are very well built cars (VW's in disguise) and great value for money.

A V8 Commodore might be more powerful than an Aurion, but move away from 6's and move into a more expensive market.. and as for front wheel drive, also not my preference but that doesn't mean it doesn't fit into the market we are discussing.

I'm with you on the FG but don't agree that a runout model can be compared to an up and coming model that isn't released yet. But yes that for me does represent value for money.

Size for money VW's are a fair bit smaller, and as far as engine goes to get a decent engine in a Passat (assuming that thats what were talking about) your looking at 55K+ and that's still a 6cyl...

I've never really looked much at Skoda so I'm going to have to take your word for it.

Yes and no... I think that a commodore represents a large family car that can be powerful, fun and have enough room to sit 5 in relative comfort, I Dont think that an Aurion meets the "fun" part of that. But that's just what a car is to you I suppose.

spauldj308

S Pack Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S sedan 5L, VSII ute
I personally dont mind it, but I'll reserve final judgement until I see one in the flesh.

Scrusy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL wagon
I thought of the Mazda 6 as soon as I looked at the pictures of it

psycho_smurf

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Crewman V6
I remember people saying the same thing about the VN when it came out, and then everyone gets used to it and begins to like it.

I'm still waiting to be able to afford a VE :(

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

Choose a VW, any VW.

Firstly we are talking about Large RWD sedans. If you are wanting a SUV or whatever then probably the Commodore is not the car for you. None of the other examples are RWD with the exeption of the FG and the performance is well down compared to the Commodore in similarly priced models (Again FG excepted). From the indications, similarly priced examples will be well down on equipment compared to the VF. No doubt the the VW is a good car however the service costs are absolutely horrendous. Quality wise - hmm.... tbh most people's perceptions of quality vs what you actually get sitting in the cars are very different things.

My biggest gripe with the VE is the hard plastics around the centre console and I hope they have been improved with the new model. However, when sitting in many low and high end Toyotas (My brother in law works for Toyota HQ and has a new car near every second week), a couple of Mazdas and Hyundais, they all have their strengths and weaknesses in various areas. Further, most of the cars you mention are significantly smaller than the Commodore. The Aurion & most of the Korean's what I'd consider to be the large/medium end of the market which will be filled with the Malibu shortly by Holden. All are significantly smaller when you sit in the cabin and particularly shows up when you try to fit in mum, dad + kids and associated rubbish or 3 adults/teenagers in the back seat.

The FG is no doubt a competitor but will be blown out of the water for content. Not sure when it's replacement is due.

Fair call about the cost - All the indications so far is that prices will be roughly where things are at the moment. There is nothing official and won't be till just before the cars go on sale.

Really, if you want a large RWD sedan, particularly if you want something with a bit of go in it, your options are very limited.

I remember people saying the same thing about the VN when it came out, and then everyone gets used to it and begins to like it.

I'm still waiting to be able to afford a VE :(

Hahaha yep. Happened with the VL, VN, VR, VT (was a huge controversy with that way back when), VY, VE and now VF.

Reaper