Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden's vision of the future

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
if they made it in a ute and manual I'd be interested.
not everyone needs a tank of a ute (ie 4x4) but still need to carry their toys.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
It's twin-scroll. I had one for weekend-long test back in 2014 and thought its performance, features, brake/wheel combo etc were pretty good but it suffered from lag and the styling was dated, even more so now. I drove an AMG A45 a few weeks earlier and it felt much faster everywhere despite only having a 40kW advantage.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
IMO, unless the replacements for the Captiva and Colorado hit it off with Aussie buyers, Holden will just be a small-time player after 2017.

No matter how good the next Insignia/Commodore is, it's no longer the major selling type of car in Australia. For whatever reason, SUV's are the current flavour of the month and Holden's next generation of those cars HAS to succeed if Holden has any chance of increasing their market share long term.

The next "Commodore" will never sell in numbers anywhere near the local models and will just be a niche model.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I will be jumping ship after I sell my VF Redline (which I have not even taken delivery of yet).
I think Holden have lost the plot and nothing in their current range (except the commodore) has any appeal what so ever in my opinion.
The new Colorado replacement SUV (I still can't remember it's name) looks terrible with a small engine in such a large car, the new Astra looks like a teenagers car and the Insignia just looks wrong, the Crome on the rear deck makes it look like it's dragging its bum and the front is horrible.
Anyway, they might sell a few but I think they will be battling to stay in the top 10.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
well i hope you're right but i think a very small number buy a commodore because it's a commodore and even fewer care about things like RWD vs FWD. the dealers will say the insignia is the new commodore and it's better because it's a fancy high tech european car at the price of a commodore. "german engineering", just as fast with smaller engine, better fuel economy, lower rego costs and BS like that. i reckon a lot of people will buy into it. however if you're right we should see a spike in sale for the commodore when the ford production ends. the commodore will be the only cheap RWD large car and the only australian built one.

Without doubt a lot of Commodore sales are exactly because it's RWD. The dealers are hardly an impartial judge about what is coming up. There won't be many more Commodores sold when Falcon production stops as their sales volume is little more than a dribble and there will be 6+ months stock to runout which will take it well into 2017. Expect Holden to do the same before they shut up shop.

if they made it in a ute and manual I'd be interested.
not everyone needs a tank of a ute (ie 4x4) but still need to carry their toys.

Sadly the days of the Commodore/Falcon ute are all but gone. 'Trucks' in my best southern hick accent is where it's at moving forward.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Australia is way behind the rest of the world in most things, fashion, food, IT and electronics. Motoring is the same. The good old ute had it's place in the Australian market, but the rest of the world always had "trucks". The gap is narrowing, but we are starting to catch up. The ute these days is more a young blokes toy than a work tool. Most tradies have a "truck". Still a ute in my eyes though, albeit a 4WD ute.

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
The beauty of the ute was the comfort though being car base, the full chassis truck is just that a truck and they ride like a truck

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Australia is way behind the rest of the world in most things, fashion, food, IT and electronics. Motoring is the same. The good old ute had it's place in the Australian market, but the rest of the world always had "trucks".

If you actually looked deeper into it you'll find Australia is not "way behind" in the things you just mentioned, motoring included. It may not lead in any area but it's far from way behind. Our car industry has kept pace with technology and design and is still considered a powerhouse in technical areas of design and chassis development within GM which is remarkable given our population and Holden's relative small size. And just because "the rest of the world" (you mean USA?) has trucks doesn't mean the ute is an anachronism. It just means the yanks have no taste.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
The beauty of the ute was the comfort though being car base, the full chassis truck is just that a truck and they ride like a truck

couldn't agree more - all light commercials/"trucks" feel like it, an Aussie ute feels more like a car.