Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holding Revs

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
Hey guys i have a VT manual and ever since the other day when i took the throttle body off and cleaned it it seems to hold the revs for a second when going to change gears. It is prodomentally between 2 and 3 thousand revs and most noticable when going from 3rd to 4th for some reason.. It takes about a second i found cos il be going in say second let go of the gas and press in the clutch and hold it. If the revs are just below 2000 they will actually slowly rise and if aroubnd 2000 just hold for a second and then go down like normal.. Also when changing from higher revs ie over 3500 it just drops like usual.. Ive had it sitting in nuetral and hold revs at 2000 then let off throttle and it drops str8 away which is why im baffled.
Can anyone help?? Thanks

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Had a similar issue when i swapped my TB to a bigger one...

Did you take the TPS sensor out when you where cleaning the TB?

The reason its holding that rpm and rising like you said is noramlly because the IAC valve is doing funny things... and the iAC valve does funny things primarily when the TPS isn't installed correctly or faulty.

If you did take the TPS out, I will need to find a diagram of a TB to explain what you should check for... always a pain in the arse to explain.

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
Talked to my boss about it today and he said 2moro wel reset the IAC im pretty sue so thus must be it. I did take out the sensor but was sure i put it back properly, guess not, anyway il let you know 2moro what it was. Thanks Jest

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
Yesterday reset the IAC and nothing but today while sevicing the car took off the throttle body off again and this time took of the IAC and gave it a goon clean out. It still happens but it wont actually rise in revs but boss said that this is normal and said it was the idler motor if i remember correctly. All good now

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
So all good? Sweet... good to hear.

FYI,

The thing i was talking about was this little plastic sleeve that slides onto the flat prong from the TPS into the throttlebody butterfly axle (Worst description ever right there).

ANyway, its like maybe 7mm by 7mm.. and if you don't put it on it throws the TPS out like what you said.

It took me pulling apart my TB 3 times before i noticed the thing was missing.. lol

Couldn't find a diagram to show on it...

Anyway, Good to hear all sorted.

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
Yea its all good thanks mate

Luckily i didnt take 3 times to take it off.... only 2 :S lol
I think i know what your talking bout the connection on the bonnet side of the TB..
Thanks for your help dude

SuperSixty6

Alto Rullo
Reaction score
Members Ride
Landcruiser TD
Having the same issue,

I removed the piping from the Throttle Body, And took out the air box and MAF to clean it a little – Im also in the process of fabricating an alloy air box.

I pulled apart the MAF and got the alloy ends and polished them up, Nothing else was done to the MAF. The throttle body was untouched during the process to my knowledge.

However now, I will tap the accelerator and it will hold at 1200-1500rpm for around 4 seconds.

Any help?

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
maybe just take the throttle body off and clean it and dont forget the IAC aswell.

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
I would be looking at the piping you disconnected from the tb.

Check for clogs and make sure the pipes are in the right spot and properly connected.

Good luck.