Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hole in airbag cover

Hussy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman 5.0
IMG_0099.jpg
Hi I'm a new to the forums.
Wanted to ask a quick question and that is I'm thinking of buying a vs statesman 5ltr I saw and i realised there is a hole in the airbag cover just on the right (see pic)
Is there anyway the cover comes off to replace that? I'm usually good at working on cars but airbags, I've never touched before.

Oh and another thing is because of the steering wheel had lots of uses, the glue or something that keeps the wheel tight has come loose.. as in when you grip the top and twist it, it's not firm/tight. My last stato had same issue and my mates mechanic stuck a needle or something and pumped in glue of some sort and it held in pretty good was new again.

(NOTE) this is not to stick the airbag in lol this is a separate issue so I hope someone knows what I'm talking about. It's the airbag hole that I'm concerned about.
Thanks guys.

sk2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 'S' pack.
The cover and airbag unit is as one. You can get second hand ones on evilbay, gumtree and wreckers pretty easy and for not too much.
Looks like that has been replaced already as I thought the emblem on the statesman had the holden symbol with a wreath.

To remove the airbag there are 4 torx (?) screws to undo behind the wheel. But before you try there are procedures to disable the airbag which must be adhered to. Pretty sure there is a how to on this site.

With the steering wheel moving again there are posts about what type of glue to use somewhere on the site. Have a search. With a syringe go from the inside between the gap in the leather. You will feel the metal rim of the wheel. Try and get it close to that as the foam around it perishes allowing the movement.

Hussy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman 5.0
Thanks sk2304, I've brought the car today knowing there is work that needs to be done and engine isn't so great but will be doing an engine and tranny swap.
The guy even said get the engine all sorted and he will help me with the steering wheel and bits pieces at his shop.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Sounds like a good dude to purchase from.
Be sure to post up pictures in the 'show off your ride' section when you are ready. It sounds like a nice car.

Hussy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman 5.0
He is a ok dude, he remembers me kind of from years back and I sure will post up pics when I'm finished with it all.