Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hole in engine.. water coming out of exhaust

Leece

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII 1997 Wagon
Hi there
On the way home from Brissie my car's temp gauge went up to H and stayed there.
Got a tow home and took the car to the mechanic who tells me I have a hole in the motor somewhere and to fix it, it will cost me more than the car is worth.

Symptoms are: water blowing out of exhaust, temp gauge moves up to H if driving for more than 20 mins. You can still drive it if you keep topping up the water in the radiator.

Now.. I have since bought a 4wd and have the VS for sale for $1500 only because I was told by my mechanic that the motor is totally blown and needs a new motor or a rebuild.

My car has $2000 worth of mags/tyres on it, i had the auto gearbox replaced 2 years ago that cost me $3500.. it's got a brand new exhaust on it, new battery, had the roof carpet relined.. and I have it on the market for $1500 because no one will buy it as it has a "blown motor".

Now, since yesterday I have thought about this again after someone told me that it could just be the head gasket, does anyone know how much it would cost to get the head gasket replaced.

I'm not a mechanic, but I'm not a dumb blonde either. It is difficult to say without any of you looking at it, but am I being led up the garden path with the mechanic saying I need a whole new motor?

Joe_222

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
I'm not a mechanic either but head gasket sounds more likely, mechanics aren't geniuses and they've always got more cars to service. All the mechanics i know would've put this in the too hard and unlikely to be paid for basket straight away and moved on to a nice oil and filter change.

It's a good idea when a mechanic tells you something like that to ask them details as to why they think that's the case and what they did to come to that conclusion. That sort of information helps people here to give more accurate opinions.

Head gaskets worth doing if you or someone you know can do it, it's very labour intensive which is why it costs so much. The gasket itself though is not expensive, I can't remember now but i had my mate quote one a year or so ago and the price was negligible, hundred and something springs to mind but i can't really remember.

It would take you a day at least but you probably won't get more than 1500 without sorting out the problem and only if the rest of the cars in real good nick.

Good luck with whatever you do

Sgt Santa Cruz

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Statesman
hmmm water does come out of the exhaust normally unless its blowing alot of white steam out of it

so a quick check which is easy is to remove all the spark plugs (and disconnect the dfi (module under the coil packs so you dont get zapped it freakin hurts) and get someone to crank the engine whilst you stand Infront of the car dont put your head in the bay or near the spark plug holes dont ask just dont!. Now with a partner cranking the engine and putting their foot flat on the throttle just see if WATER mist comes out of the spark plug holes if it does theres either a chance of head gasket or valley gasket.

might not work to 100% to rectify the solution just a quick test and cheap :)