Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holidays, Good And Bad.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I’m certain we’ve all had good and bad holiday experiences.
I believe by sharing who we really are on this great forum, by sharing a little about ourselves and our experiences, would help us all in understanding and appreciating each other with respect.
So let us all lighten the moment in these very challenging times, and tell our stories of holidays good and bad.
Okay, who’s game to go first?:)

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
Japan
Liked it there so much i went again.
I've had 2 3 week long holidays there and really want to go back. The food is excellent, The people are friendly and the place is clean. Got the bullet train from Tokyo to Hiroshima, For the speed it goes its a much smoother ride than anything QLD rail can do. And it had a smoking room, an aircon room with a huge viewing window.
The culture shock was the biggest impact. I remember sitting on a metro train and a kid sitting opposite me with his mum, He wouldn't stop staring at me. At first I thought I might have had a bogey hanging out, but then realised I was the only round eye in the carriage..
Cant wait to travel there again And I wouldn't mind stopping off in south Korea on the way home

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Well, in the beginning …………
Up until I was about 8 years old, I thought Queensland was Australia, all black soil and Brigalow scrub, and the wildlife was just sheep and rabbits.

When I was 9, Dad and Mum took me to WA, to see if they could buy a farm there. The Nullarbor Road (not highway) was all dirt, dust and stretched from the top of one rise to the top of the next rise, with stuff all to see except dirt, dust and Saltbush.
We stayed in Esperance for 2 days and drove back.
After that failed excursion, we then moved further west in QLD, and I found out that Australia was also red dirt, rocks, Mulga scrub, and the wildlife was sheep and kangaroos.
( In 2018, my wife described the drive from Quilpie to Charleville as the most boring piece of Australia she had driven through. At least it is now a sealed road)

When I was 17, I found that if I drove 800km east for a weekend, there was sand and surf, and the wildlife wore bikinis, and drank expensive alcohol.

When I was 19, I joined the RAAF, and spent 21 years travelling at Govt expense, and this was when I discovered that Australia was a lot more than red dirt, sheep, rabbits and kangaroos.
Holidays ? Non existent. What holiday leave I had was used packing up and moving the family from one State to another.

I don’t know why, but Uluru has never really interested me. I understand it is of great cultural significance to our first people, but I always think there are other places I’d like to go first.

Our first real ‘holiday’ was in the late ‘80s, one of those Qantas Getaway packages to Central Aus.
At Alice Springs, they had mountains !
The trip was very much a ‘sampler’, going to all the gaps, gorges, and chasms, Glen Helen, Palm Valley, Ayres Rock, and The Olgas.
At the Rock, there were no out of bounds restrictions, and we have photos of areas that are now ‘forbidden’ to tourists. And the ‘locals’ were sad.
But, that trip changed my perspective of 'The Outback'. Where was all the Mulga ?

We went back in 2014, hired a car, and did things at our own pace. Walked around Uluru, Kata Tjuta Valley of the Winds, Kings Canyon, Mt Connor, plus the usual outdoor dining experiences. Memorable time.
A lot had changed, but the ‘locals’ were still sad, which surprised me, as I thought after nearly 30 years that a new generation would have moved on. Businesses which claimed to be Indigenous owned, were staffed by back packers and FIFOs.

2017, went to see the ‘Field of Lights’ exhibition, and happened to be there at the same time as the ‘Statement from the Heart’ conference, and I got talking to a couple of representatives at the bar. Interesting.
They were of the opinion that decisions had already been made, their opinions were not going to be heeded, and it was all a big BS talkfest and publicity, so they were just going to enjoy the free accommodation, free drinks and tucker, and that was it.
Seems that they were right, and the 'locals' were still sad. Who is making all the money, and where is it going ?

Where next and when. Stuffed if I know. I keep looking at my big map of Aus with pins in it, and daydreaming.
After our hastily arranged flight back from NZ last year, the missus has vowed that she will never set foot in an “fkn” airport again.
A problem to be solved ………. in 2023 ?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
good - going

bad - coming back from

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Worst holiday ever would have to be when I was 12. We were going on a family holiday to Tasmania. We drove from QLD to VIC in the EH wagon but on the way to the Spirit of Tassie my father insisted he needed to turn right at the intersection outside the Flinders St station.
That's when an old bloke in a HJ Kingswood wagon appeared out of nowhere from behind the rail bridge pylon and T boned us.
Police determined the old bloke panicked and jumped on the loud pedal instead of the STOP one. Needless to say we didn't get to Tassie.
The 6 of us were then holed up for 2 days in some **** hole of a hotel about maybe 100m from the train station whilst the Police completed their investigation and dad was able to pick up the car from the police station holding yard. We then headed to friends at Woodend to make running repairs to the EH, a sheared transmission mount and one engine mount holding on by a thread, and clear plastic and taped up the open inoperable windows on the passenger side for the trip home. Middle of January, temps hit 35 deg C out around West Wylong, no air con, no ventilation on the passenger side and the engine kept boiling every 12 miles. Luckily the road we were lost on had a flowing creek tracking along side so we had plenty of water for topping up the radiator which had developed a leak.

Best holiday would have to be our 10 day FIFO self drive honeymoon in Tassie.;)

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
wow your poor Dad, what a cruddy result for all involved, also pretty hard to beat a good Tassie driving holiday. One of my best hols was one of those. My first time driving a VF was in Tassie, fun fact for those who don't drive in cold climates, it tells you to watch out for ice or something similar when it gets real cold!

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
wow your poor Dad, what a cruddy result for all involved, also pretty hard to beat a good Tassie driving holiday. One of my best hols was one of those. My first time driving a VF was in Tassie, fun fact for those who don't drive in cold climates, it tells you to watch out for ice or something similar when it gets real cold!

Yeah, mum was pretty pissed with him. She was the navigator but with typical macho male wisdom he decided her directions were wrong.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Worst holiday ever would have to be when I was 12. We were going on a family holiday to Tasmania. We drove from QLD to VIC in the EH wagon but on the way to the Spirit of Tassie my father insisted he needed to turn right at the intersection outside the Flinders St station.
That's when an old bloke in a HJ Kingswood wagon appeared out of nowhere from behind the rail bridge pylon and T boned us.
Police determined the old bloke panicked and jumped on the loud pedal instead of the STOP one. Needless to say we didn't get to Tassie.
The 6 of us were then holed up for 2 days in some **** hole of a hotel about maybe 100m from the train station whilst the Police completed their investigation and dad was able to pick up the car from the police station holding yard. We then headed to friends at Woodend to make running repairs to the EH, a sheared transmission mount and one engine mount holding on by a thread, and clear plastic and taped up the open inoperable windows on the passenger side for the trip home. Middle of January, temps hit 35 deg C out around West Wylong, no air con, no ventilation on the passenger side and the engine kept boiling every 12 miles. Luckily the road we were lost on had a flowing creek tracking along side so we had plenty of water for topping up the radiator which had developed a leak.

Best holiday would have to be our 10 day FIFO self drive honeymoon in Tassie.;)
Ooh that’s a right bummer missing out on your holiday like that. Good you finally made it to Tassie for your honeymoon though.
We’ve been to Tassie over a dozen times now and loved every minute of it. Wow I sound boring!

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
We’ve been to Tassie over a dozen times now and loved every minute of it. Wow I sound boring!
Not at all. The wife and I are looking to head back down to Tassie again in the near future.
In the meantime we are hoping to do a road trip to Melbourne early 2022 to see her great Aunt who turned 100 this year.

Reactions: Lex

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Not at all. The wife and I are looking to head back down to Tassie again in the near future.
In the meantime we are hoping to do a road trip to Melbourne early 2022 to see her great Aunt who turned 100 this year.
Maybe you can squeeze in a trip across the water at the same time?
Great effort Aunty!

Reactions: Lex