Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Home made C.A.I

Robbo5390

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
i made my own C.A.I the other week to suit a 99 vt, went down to the local hardware shop 90mm pvc pipe, a 90mm wire mesh adaptment to suit. cut a hole in the airbox and voila 27.50$ cai. Just wondering if leaving the stock intake pipe on the box would make it perform worse then if i just had the 90mm pipe getting air from below the engine. Next door neighbour reckons that it would be minamal as the larger pipe and fact that it is having air forced into it would push any warm/hot air from the stock one back out, i have done a few small mods latelay and have noticed a differnece in performance however i cant be sure that it was because of the cai. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
( i can post pics if you like but it like all those other diy cai you see, actually got it off this forum:thumbsup:)

cheers

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
i made my own C.A.I the other week to suit a 99 vt, went down to the local hardware shop 90mm pvc pipe, a 90mm wire mesh adaptment to suit. cut a hole in the airbox and voila 27.50$ cai. Just wondering if leaving the stock intake pipe on the box would make it perform worse then if i just had the 90mm pipe getting air from below the engine. Next door neighbour reckons that it would be minamal as the larger pipe and fact that it is having air forced into it would push any warm/hot air from the stock one back out, i have done a few small mods latelay and have noticed a differnece in performance however i cant be sure that it was because of the cai. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
( i can post pics if you like but it like all those other diy cai you see, actually got it off this forum:thumbsup:)

cheers

Should be fine to leave the OTR pipe on it. It wont cause any more or less of a restriction.
Might want to get a dam good filter though (not a K&N) for all the greesy dust that gets sucked up.
Rain shouldnt be an issue as it takes a fair bit for water to climb that far.
Personally I couldnt do it myself as I live in the country and theres many dirt roads. Not a bad highway or city mod.

Robbo5390

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
Should be fine to leave the OTR pipe on it. It wont cause any more or less of a restriction.
Might want to get a dam good filter though (not a K&N) for all the greesy dust that gets sucked up.QUOTE

LOL, i installed a k&n when i fitted it, i mainly do suburban driving so it should be fine. Would be nice if i could run a pod filter into the stock airbox though. Any ideas on how that would work?