Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Home Made Cold Air Intake..

SiC-MeTaBoLiC

Reaction score
After doing some reading i decided to make my own cold air intake for my S ute. I went to Super Cheap Auto and brought an air intake pipe and i also ordered a K&n Panel filter which isn't fitted yet. I attached the pipe to the hole in the air box and then ran it down behind the fan and fixed it onto the splash guard.
The Original pipe on the air box is 85mm and the one i replaced it with is 75mm, im not really sure if the smaller pipe would restrict airflow or not..
After doing some driving it feels different when accelerating hard and at higher revs.
The question i have is, would the 10mm smaller pipe have a negative affect on performance?

Any coments would be appreciated. Cheers

Attachments

• Pipes.JPG
    Pipes.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 5,478
  • Under Car.JPG
    Under Car.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 5,244

gen3_350_v8

Reaction score
Members Ride
ss vy 5.7l M6
ur better off doing the 2 hole mod? and attaching 2 pipes then u would have no loss at all with the 10mm reduction, ud have to play around abit with the setup but its well worth it to get more power/cold air/ sound out off the standard airbox. hth

Sammy

Reaction score
Website
www.oldholdens.com
Members Ride
LH Torana with Ecotec V6
you want to be careful with that pipe that you don't go through a puddle and flood the motor ....

i agree on the 2 holes, two pipes, sounds like the go, if anything once your moving (60-70km's +) it should hopefully be forcing the air in the fairly quickly which should give you a bit of a boost.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Yep I would watch for water too. Motors and water in pistons just don't mix.

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
if you got a vz then you must have money so why make your own lol

SiC-MeTaBoLiC

Reaction score
i dont wanna spend all that cash on a cold air intake i can just put together myself, well atleast not yet cuz i have other mods i want done.

I doubt water will find its way to the motor, for that to happen it would have to travel up the pipe which is pretty much vertical just to get to the air box. And then it would have to get from the bottom of the airbox to the top.

About that 2 hole mod, i was hoping i wouldn't have to do it because of warranty, atleast with the setup atm i can just take the pipe off and put the old one straight back in.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
SiC-MeTaBoLiC said:
After doing some reading i decided to make my own cold air intake for my S ute. I went to Super Cheap Auto and brought an air intake pipe and i also ordered a K&n Panel filter which isn't fitted yet. I attached the pipe to the hole in the air box and then ran it down behind the fan and fixed it onto the splash guard.
The Original pipe on the air box is 85mm and the one i replaced it with is 75mm, im not really sure if the smaller pipe would restrict airflow or not..
After doing some driving it feels different when accelerating hard and at higher revs.
The question i have is, would the 10mm smaller pipe have a negative affect on performance?

Any coments would be appreciated. Cheers
homemade/profesional who cares ! as long as it workes and it workes well; then market it no bull just patened it.(will it have an effect 75mm yes for the better...trust me ! higher air flow workes best @2000to4500 )