Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Home made plenum spacer VT V6 what material would work best?

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Yes definitely 2 bobs a decade late but with it being a regular question asked to me by many dore owners a different opinion available can't hurt
The mace engineering spacers are cheap enough to buy, makes ya wonder why anyone would bother trying to make their own

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The mace engineering spacers are cheap enough to buy, makes ya wonder why anyone would bother trying to make their own
^^^^^^^ Exactly this..

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
They're solid as too no worries about them letting go! I had made mine when mace was out of stock just as a temporary but I still use the mdf up top it is a safety thing on my bucket as it's full of the things you're not meant to do and if you've seen what happens to a cast manifold in a bad backfire it makes sense to have a weak point after the throttle the mdf should blow out instead of the entire plenum,it's not happened yet to mine but as it cost $6 for enough mdf to make 10 spacers I'll keep it for now

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I'd it does let go, you have no throttle control and the engine will full rev, as it's after the throttle.

Best use the tried and tested material

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I'd it does let go, you have no throttle control and the engine will full rev, as it's after the throttle.

Best use the tried and tested material

He's talking about using it like a burst plate seen in drag racing. If it bursts you hit the kill switch. Yet his idea has not been tested so he may be completely wrong.

But anyway manifold spacers are snake oil. Cold air is important but all you need to do is collect it from a place where it's cold. "heat soak" as the warriors like to call it is complete BS the volume of air moving through the intake at power is impossible to heat up. It's like putting a beer in the frezzer for 1 minute pulling it out and expect it to be cold like a beer on ice in a esky for an hour.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
But anyway manifold spacers are snake oil. Cold air is important but all you need to do is collect it from a place where it's cold. "heat soak" as the warriors like to call it is complete BS the volume of air moving through the intake at power is impossible to heat up. It's like putting a beer in the frezzer for 1 minute pulling it out and expect it to be cold like a beer on ice in a esky for an hour.
I suggest you do some tests before making such claims. I have done testing on mere wrapping an intake pipe in runner tape and reduced MAT's by 6-7 degrees Celsius.
I'd be keen to see your source of so called ."snake oil".

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I suggest you do some tests before making such claims. I have done testing on mere wrapping an intake pipe in runner tape and reduced MAT's by 6-7 degrees Celsius.
I'd be keen to see your source of so called ."snake oil".

At what engine speeds? If you test at idle it's irrelevant because air speed through the intake at idle vs under power is totaly different.
Also I've watched Richard Holdner test air intake temps many times and he always finds that actual intake air temps under power don't change. He litterally has videos with dyno proof on youtube.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
At what engine speeds? If you test at idle it's irrelevant because air speed through the intake at idle vs under power is totaly different.

70 - 90kph. 2000 - 3000 revs

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
70 - 90kph. 2000 - 3000 revs
I don't believe that. There may have been another issue in your test that was not looked at that could give you a false positive.