Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Home made plenum spacer VT V6 what material would work best?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I don't believe that. There may have been another issue in your test that was not looked at that could give you a false positive.
Well I trust my results using AED over a YouTube video any day, just saying. I actually took the runner tape off and retested and the temps went up, then came back down when I put it back on. Makes no difference to me if you believe me or not. Like I said do your own testing before calling BS on my results.
Other members have done tests using different types of CAIs and have proven heat soak is a thing.
TBH your starting to become like can old banned member who believed everything posted on YouTube.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
At what engine speeds? If you test at idle it's irrelevant because air speed through the intake at idle vs under power is totaly different.
Also I've watched Richard Holdner test air intake temps many times and he always finds that actual intake air temps under power don't change. He litterally has videos with dyno proof on youtube.

I did testing years ago on this subject.

When you run the math on the flow (CFM), my little old LS1 flows about 500 CFM at 5500rpm (ish).

I did do this quite a while ago, and alot of whiskey has flowed under the bridge, but.......

Then when you then add in the size of the intake, a rule of thumb is that the air travels around 100 meters per second where the engine makes its most power.

Therefore, if your intake is long, say 1000mm, the air is in that intake for 0.01 of a second, for thermal transfer to actually count, you would need to have an enormously long intake.

I'm sure someone smarter than me could crunch these numbers and see what is required to transfer engine bay heat, lets say 80°c, into an intake CAI flowing 100ms with a AIT of say 20°c.

Googling... https://www.musclecardiy.com/performance/induction-math-high-performance-engines/

Note that air capacity is a function of displacement (volumetric capacity) and engine speed (RPM). The displacement is divided by 1,728 (the number of cubic inches in a cubic foot) to convert it to cubic feet. The RPM is divided by 2 because the engine only intakes on every other revolution. The formula can be simplified as follows:

Air Capacitycfm = (displacement x RPM) ÷ 3,456

Time for more whiskey

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Late this year or early next I will buy a new download of AED for my new laptop. I will do some more testing and report back.
This time I will do some tests at say 4000 revs, if I can find a sneaky place to plant my foot. Failing that I have found a bloke with a dyno who is local, who may be doing me some base line runs when the new heads go on. It will come down to his cost though. If its $150 or less I will get it on his dyno. If it's much more I will hold off until I can find someone around that price.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
When I did it I took AIT reading at filter inlet and just prior to the turbo.

There was no difference in the readings at the 2 sensors positions.

The 4" aluminium intake length was about 400mm, and painted black.

All logging was done at the track.

Underbonnet temps got pretty hot when that old TO4Z and steam pipe manifold got cooking.

That was the whole reason for the thermal testing, in the end I fitted a vented bonnet which helped alot with the efficiency of the radiator and some gold tape on the fibreglass bonnet just above the exhaust housing.

More testing and data is always welcome though.

And I'm trying to remember stuff I did more than 10 years ago

TL;DR As long as your inlet gets clean air your golden IMO

Attachments

• _MG_1689.JPG
    _MG_1689.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 163
  • post-75773-0-74233000-1371525285.jpeg
    post-75773-0-74233000-1371525285.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 154
  • _MG_9752.JPG
    _MG_9752.JPG
    276.2 KB · Views: 162
  • drags 24 oct 12.jpg
    drags 24 oct 12.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 156

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
He's talking about using it like a burst plate seen in drag racing. If it bursts you hit the kill switch. Yet his idea has not been tested so he may be completely wrong.

Yeap, however most members and visitors here aren't drag racing their cars.

worst case is mang mang mang bang!

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Well I trust my results using AED over a YouTube video any day, just saying. I actually took the runner tape off and retested and the temps went up, then came back down when I put it back on. Makes no difference to me if you believe me or not. Like I said do your own testing before calling BS on my results.
Other members have done tests using different types of CAIs and have proven heat soak is a thing.
TBH your starting to become like can old banned member who believed everything posted on YouTube.

Richard Holdner has been testing engines for hot rod magazine owned by motor trend which is the largest car magazine in the world for 25 years. He is not just a "youtuber"

How did you set the sensor up? you could've been blocking the sensor it's self from heat. If you tried to get your results peer reviewed they would like to see how exactly you set the sensor up because that could be an issue.
In some of Richard Holdners videos he tried testing water meth and other forms of inter cooling and had issues with sensor postion giving inacurate data.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I used the factory MAT sensor in the factory location

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I used the factory MAT sensor in the factory location

You really need to mount a heat probe in the centre of the air stream then another at the outside edge.