Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Home spray job on my vr commodore

Discussion in 'Spray Painting and Panel Beating' started by Andrew1994, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Andrew1994

Andrew1994 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vr commodore 1994
    Yeah I'll have to fill some dints so I'll use the advise you guys have given me here. I was just wondering I have found the code for the paint witch the side guards and bumper are in but i have also found the original colour code of the car aswell just wondering should I buy both paints and see witch one matches the best cause I have a side guard that is just siting there that I can practice one and compare colours. :)

2. 304runner

304runner ( .Y. )

Members Ride:
    VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
    Buy one colour and paint the entire lot again.....simple...

3. Andrew1994

Andrew1994 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vr commodore 1994
    Yeah if I go the original colour that means I only have to spray the side guards front bumper. And new bonnet and back bumper when I get them. But if I got the other colour I'll have to paint the whole car Except the side quards and the front bumper. Well either way I go it's going to be alot of work. :)

4. ari666

ari666 250,000 hits

Members Ride:
    1966 impala, R32 GTR
    buy a couple of liters of the original colour base coat. 6 liters of clear and 6 liters of hi fill. a tin of fine filler, and a box of 120 grit.

you are never gonna get the panels to match if its your first time spraying. even if you run your gun in a slightly different angle, or add a miniscule more reducer on one panel to the other, the metallics will sit differently and will look different in the sun.

only way to match it is do it all at once.

5. Andrew1994

Andrew1994 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vr commodore 1994
    Yeah I will do :) when spraying my car I hurt about puting robe in rubbers so the paint also goes down in there is that the easyest way to go with that or Is there other and better way to do it ?

6. VSSS_5L

VSSS_5L New Member

Members Ride:
    VS SS 5L
    Looks pretty good mate. If the paint is horrible to start with i guess its pretty easy to improve on it. Did you use an acrylic? I've had pretty serious doubts about painting my botanica mica VS SS because the paint is still nice and shiny and on a good day from a good few metres back it still looks awesome... But as soon as you get up close you notice all the little shopping trolley dents and the......... dozens or hundreds maybe cat claw scratches. And other scratches n junk.

It's all good though the white VG ute i just bought doesn't have a straight panel on it is covered in touch up paint and the best looking paint on it is still faded and horrible...Shouldn't be too hard to improve on that. Bit scared of the scope of all the dents and creases in it though. I'm a plaster sander by trade, so sanding bog should be mah thing right...? Right... Right...? lol

7. gopher

gopher Active Member

Members Ride:
    Car
    huh?????????

8. ari666

ari666 250,000 hits

Members Ride:
    1966 impala, R32 GTR
    translated

that is a good way, but dunno bout rope. most jap cars can only squeeze a piece of string under there. lift up a corner, tuck the string under then as you pull, the seal lifts (not always that easy, but you get the idea) then once its lifted you can properly mask the seal, and when you are spraying just slighty poke the fan under the seal. allow AT LEAST a day to dry before taking it out though. cos if its wet you risk pulling chunks off. and when you pull it out have a sharp razor on standby to cut any lumps of paint that stick to the string.

9. Andrew1994

Andrew1994 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vr commodore 1994
    Hey mate thanks I'm pretty happy with it an your cars paint seems alot like mine alot of little scratchers tthat won't buff out so annoying cause spraying the whole car is a big job I think I'm going to get all the paint to match and then I'm looking a buying a nother commodore to do work on because the one I have at the moment is the ony car I can drive on the road and to respray it's going to be off the road for awhile.

10. Andrew1994

Andrew1994 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vr commodore 1994
    Haha sorry mate I'm using and iPhone it's **** to type on make alot of mistakes as you can see haha. Yeah I was thinking rope was abit thick to put in te rubbers so thanks for the help with that :)

11. commoVT

commoVT New Member

Members Ride:
    1999 VT
    oh u wanna see a picture of my wiper? thats cool man, your just saying what everyones thinking

12. Andrew1994

Andrew1994 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vr commodore 1994
    Well I've decided what I'm going to do I'll be buying a new back bumper this weekend and I'm going to sand the whole front of the car bumper side panels and the bonnet and spray them all the orgian colour that the car is and I'll see how it turns out. Then give the whole rest of the car a good cut and polish see if I can get some scratchers out if they don't come out might give them a little sand and a buff as they might not just come out with a buff.
    Also can I ask where I get a thing to to tell me how much paint thinners harder etc I know it says on the paint tin but I'm still not sure if I'm doing it right I would rather know I'm mixing the paints to how they should be and thinning them out right.

13. commoVT

commoVT New Member

Members Ride:
    1999 VT
    ooohhhhhhhhh god, so it starts again...

14. ari666

ari666 250,000 hits

Members Ride:
    1966 impala, R32 GTR
    what paint you using?

15. Andrew1994

Andrew1994 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vr commodore 1994
    Hey mate I would say I'll be using 2pac well that's what I used befor on the Side panels and front bumper? Should i use two pack or acrylic ?

16. Andrew1994

Andrew1994 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vr commodore 1994
    Hahah. Your starting to get really annoying hey.

17. ari666

ari666 250,000 hits

Members Ride:
    1966 impala, R32 GTR
    2 pack.

so the silver needs between 10-30% reducer depending on how old the paint is, just so it flows better.
    clear is usually 2:1+10% i usually add a lot more than 10 tho tbh i have found it helps stop runs cos each layer flashes off quicker. but it all depends on your gun and the temperature and your skills etc etc.

18. Andrew1994

Andrew1994 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vr commodore 1994
    you mean the blue man? Thanks that makes me abit clear on what I need to do. I hurd you can get a ruler thing that shows you how much to put in?

19. ari666

ari666 250,000 hits

Members Ride:
    1966 impala, R32 GTR
  20. r2e2

r2e2 New Member

Members Ride:
    VR 5L ute
    yep send me a pic with the rest of your shitbox going throu a car crusher, go chuck your hat away and keep your head in it.