Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Home spray job on my vr commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 2002 Executive v6. Ex Patrol Car

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
commovt,

i lol'd at a few of ur comments, but ur trolling this thread is getting annoying :p

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
Get all the advise you can from anyone you can, practice all you can.
What's the worst that could happen? You learn from the experience and if you fail... well people like me can buy a real cheap car to wreck for parts!!!!! Sorry couldn't help that one! No offence.

What i should say is: what's the worst that can happen, you fail you learn, you sand it all back and do it again and again untill you get it right....
Now I've made amends well enough to cover for the my smartarse earlier paragraph.

VSSS_5L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5L
Ummmm...Spraypainting is easy? Like I've been probably a...25% contributor on the backyard respray of like...2 cars. First one was a camry. Slight colour change only half dismantled, second was a vn with an aero kit...Which is an ongoing project, but like...in my experience...Its not hard at all, its just extreeeemely time consuming.

Read all you can practice as much as you need and then just get into it...

With the right tools and a lot of patience a MINT paint job is totally achievable by... anyone with half a brain.

Let the haters hate, with their faded ass stock colours, too broke to pay someone to paint it too scared to try it themselves.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Ummmm...Spraypainting is easy? Like I've been probably a...25% contributor on the backyard respray of like...2 cars. First one was a camry. Slight colour change only half dismantled, second was a vn with an aero kit...Which is an ongoing project, but like...in my experience...Its not hard at all, its just extreeeemely time consuming.

Read all you can practice as much as you need and then just get into it...

With the right tools and a lot of patience a MINT paint job is totally achievable by... anyone with half a brain.

Let the haters hate, with their faded ass stock colours, too broke to pay someone to paint it too scared to try it themselves.

1. No-one said spraypainting isnt easy. It is - if you know what you are doing. Preparation is the hard part. Your 25% input in spraying 2 cars hardly makes you an expert though.

2. All I have been trying to do is point out to the OP that he knows less than he thinks he does, and he needs to accept that before he wastes his money messing it up.
Its not hard to do, there is a heap of info on this forum on what he needs to do. Hes been provided links and stuff, and a step by step of things he needs to do before he paints the car.

3. I am neither too broke to pay someone, nor am I scared to paint it myself. I choose to paint myself, because I get a warm fuzzy feeling when I am finished. In fact, I will happily place my paint next to anyone elses in the forum and be proud of the quality. And far from a faded ass stock colour, mine is a very nice custom pearl which you will never see on any other car.

Andrew has taken the attitude that we are all out to get him, which isnt the case. Commo may have made a few smartarse remarks, hey just ignore them if they bother you. That will happen in any thread you post on this forum, you have to learn to sort the wheat from the chaff. I get flamed daily, its not worth stressing over.

Andrew, read the threads that Ari666 posted, you will learn a lot. Then, if you are still unclear on anything, come back and ask specific, informed questions, and someone will give you an answer. If you are lucky, it will be Ari, he is a legend :)

You've already had an answer to your post in fact. You asked if the paint you provided the link for was a good choice, and not one person has said yes. Thats the answer to the question isnt it... no? Now, ask what kind of paint would be better, and some instructions on the best way to spray it. Its not rocket science. But first, read the links you have already been provided with.

If you do this, then you will eventually get a real nice paint job. If you just get peeved because you arent getting the answers you want, you either arent reading the answers properly, or you arent willing to accept any advice. You came in asking for advice, no use doing that if you arent going to listen.

Good luck with your paint job, I mean that. If you need help, ask nicely, dont make out like you already know it all, and someone will help.

I'm done with this thread until something changes. Its going nowhere..

Last edited:

Demoniak

Like a pig in kaakaa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE 6.0 SS Ute, 02 VX II SS Sedan
ive done a prevoc for spraypainting and i dont think i would want to tackle a whole car.

Longest steps is the sanding and bogging... the spraying (providing you have the rights tools and an even hand) is the easy part.

But you gotta think about the little annoying things between a good job and **** job.. like taking all the seals and rubbers off the car (such as the door frames) so it looks even all the way through not have a red car originally and you got purple now and someone lifts the seal up for a little surprise.

If you have a 1.3m gun you can do both types of paint. A non skilled hand will still make it look blotchy.

You also need to think about where you going to do this? 1 method for a homemade spray booth is a single LUG. hose the ground down.. Put drop sheets up all over the shop (like in Dexter) and then you got a booth..
Or you hire a booth.
But then you need the gun, compressor, paint, safety equipment, bog, 30-40 sheets of sandpaper, primer, turps, top coat. so a whole car would prob cost around $2k alone. Not to mention it would take a novice twice as long.

Sheese i just wouldnt bother.. spraying a kit though i would.. as long as i got a pro to tint the paint for me.

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
I occasionally work with ken from colortech helping him when i have spare time. I have personally sprayed 3 cars and a wb 1 tonner from go to whoa, bear in mind i'm no expert and keep asking questions each time i do a car.... end story, the 1 tonner took me 5 weeks of 4+ hours per day. only 2.5 hours was actual spraying of the ute. The rest was me being anal retentive and i still didn't get a result i'd be happy to show people. So end story, hours upon hours of painstaking prep and very easy to see things you've missed and are unhappy with after it's all done.
The 1 tonner was the last car i've done, I'm about to rebuild my VH SS from scratch and I've decided this time, I'm saving up and paying someone for that headache cause i'll never be happy if i do it myself, i dont do it for a living and can't hope to achieve the results i've seen from the couple of decent panel shops near me.

OP i hope you dont take this the wrong way, but if you dont mind living with every imperfection and stuff up you've missed untill it's too late, then go ahead and give it a go. Just remember, you have to look at it every day and drive it. If seeing faults etc annoy you, then I'd go and save your pennies to have it done for you.
Yes it is achievable to get a great result, you might have a knack for it but you will be comparing your car eventually to those that have been done by people who do this line of work 5 day's a week for god know's how many years. Practice makes perfect and there's always new things to learn and get better at.

Jeez some of the other posts on this thread are over the top! OP have a go of it and see how you go.