Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Home spray job on my vr commodore

Discussion in 'Spray Painting and Panel Beating' started by Andrew1994, Aug 17, 2011.

1. ari666

ari666 250,000 hits

Members Ride:
    1966 impala, R32 GTR
    ok, so check it. i did my impala in matte black (acrylic) and cos' its such a horrible paint, it just turned out really bad. so i set to it with some 400 to start with, then went to 600, then 800, then 1500 on the wizzy. then buffed and it came out like this:

remember it used to be matte black. it just took time to get it right.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2016
  2. Andrew1994

Andrew1994 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vr commodore 1994
    Yeah i would rather be sanding with the car sound system going over standing there buffing :)
    So that video is just the solid paint then sanded with the grids you said I would say dosnt look bad it's looks shinny in the video. I would be happy with that finsh.

3. DAKSTER

DAKSTER Beam me up Scotty!

Members Ride:
    VS Berlina
    Remember too, when I talk I talk about acrylic, when ari talks, except for the last post, he is talking about 2pak. Acrylic is a softer paint so you can get away with the coarser paper I suggested. If you go 2pak and get a reasonably flat spray I wouldn't go so coarse either, it will leave more scratches than it's worth.

4. Andrew1994

Andrew1994 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vr commodore 1994
    Well update time haha not a good update but I wont to post this so I can get a little more help well I sprayed the front of my car but had a #### up got lines all through my paint the primer looked fine then when I sprayed the paint it came up really bad so I'm thinking of striping the front of the car getin it back to bair metal ad starting agian? I'll try post a pic of it tomorrow to show you's as I don't want to look at it Atm cause in pretty annoyed haha :)

5. DAKSTER

Members Ride:
    VS Berlina
    What kind of paint did you finish up buying?

Lines in your paint? you mean like GT stripes? Widen your fan. Paint a light coat in one direction ie front to back, then the other ie left to right. Do it right and you will have full coverage. Consider that one coat.. add a couple more. Any mistakes, you should only need to rub them back to the previous coat.

Dont waste the paint and primer thats already on it. Its extra paint, never a bad thing. Just spray more paint over it till the lines are gone, then get the sandpaper out :) Rubbing it back to metal is totally unnecessary.

6. DAKSTER

Members Ride:
    VS Berlina
    I like your work mate. Awesome finish.. thats the shiniest matte I have ever seen :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2016
  7. Andrew1994

Andrew1994 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vr commodore 1994
    yeah there is alot of lines thought it looks real bad so Sand it back with what grade sand paper? I swear the lines must be under the primer but it didn't look that way when the primer was on the car. First coat looked good then second coat looked really bad should I just sand it all back till nice and smooth then prime it agian cause there is not alot of paint on there as I stop cause I thought it would just get worse.

8. ari666

ari666 250,000 hits

Members Ride:
    1966 impala, R32 GTR
  9. Bellicose

Bellicose New Member

Members Ride:
    TOW PIG
    Don't get snotty with this comment BUT...........If you're having trouble putting colour on correctly then you'll never never EVER going to fix it with your skills if you take it back to metal.

Having seen what ari666 & Dakster have been posting, i'd read their posts very carefully and follow their advice, and for gods sake DON'T rush trying to do the job.

Unfortunately i don't have the time to talk you through it, otherwise i would.

10. Andrew1994

Andrew1994 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vr commodore 1994
    I post this so I can get some help bellicose :) yeah I'll be rubing it all back till it's nice and flat agian and try agian only one way to learn everyone allwas has #### ups so I'll give it another go and hopefully come up better :)

11. DAKSTER

Members Ride:
    VS Berlina
    which paint did you buy andrew?

12. Andrew1994

Andrew1994 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vr commodore 1994
    The guy at the shop sold me 2pack base coat said it a matllic so he can't make it a solid. So I'm going back to get same pain but in acrylic cause I was talking to and ex spray painter at work and he has filled me in abut and so have you guys so hopefully it will come out good this time.

13. commoVT

commoVT New Member

Members Ride:
    1999 VT
    ohhhhhhh god, this is starting to turn bad...

14. DAKSTER

Members Ride:
    VS Berlina
    OK scratch the previous advice then. You can continue without going back to metal, but you are going to need a suitable primer to go over the 2pak if you are switching to acrylic.

I know I'm the acrylic guy lol but since you have started with 2pak you might as well keep going with it. Everyone makes mistakes, if you make one with the acrylic are you going to switch back to 2pak? Dont change horses mid race.. you have started with the 2pak you might as well persevere, and you've already bought the paint. No-one said it would happen right the first time :)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  15. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    VT

Give it a rest mate. Andrew is trying, bloody hard, to do something a lot of guys on this forum won't attempt and your humour has run its course. What have YOU done in the way of a complete respray? And is it good enough to post on the forum, or are you just good at throwing repetitive negatives?

16. Andrew1994

Andrew1994 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vr commodore 1994
    Yeah I guess your right I'll sand it back till it's nice and flat and have another go see how it turns out practice make prefect I guess it's not going to be some show car so as long as it good enougth for my liking :)

Agreed commvt your wasting your time typing all this **** ill get there your comments just not needed.

17. DAKSTER

Members Ride:
    VS Berlina
    Check mine out at the moment mate, (go straight to the last post) just in base coat, white acrylic sanded back waiting for pearl. Its only paint, no matter what kind you are using, if you have the patience and vision you can achieve the dream...

18. commoVT

commoVT New Member

Members Ride:
    1999 VT
    well one time i completely resprayed my windscreen wipers, sooooo, yea, i guess i have done a complete respray before

19. Andrew1994

Andrew1994 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vr commodore 1994
    Yeah bro I went thought your it yesterday you have done a dam good job looks really mint :)
    Got a new project car on the way two, 5 speed manual commodore 1000 bucks :) really keen to get it started I'll make a thread when it gets droped off :)

20. Drawnnite

Drawnnite Obviously Unsensible

Members Ride:
    2000 Vs Ute
    keep up the good work andrew.
    cannot wait to see how this turns out.
    and youll be painting this new project car aswell?

talking about 2pak. is that where you mix the paint, with some sticky thing and maybe thinners?
    we are painted some cut gal steel at work with this and wanted to know what safety you should use when around it.