Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

home tune-up! what to use(buy)

pjwooly

motorcityband.com.au
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS brute
Hi all ,got a quote to get my car serviced (plugs,leads,oil change engine and auto plus filters) for around $600.Thort of doing it myself as i am without a job anyway at the mo.Can anyone tell me the best leads/plugs to buy,oils and filters,and anything else that may be needed.Car is a VY2 SS 1/04 model ute.

Any help much appreciated guys...thanks.:thumbsup:

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
where are u going to get your car serviced lol

pjwooly

motorcityband.com.au
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS brute
Actually an old mates doing it,but he did my old mans deisel van and he seemed to charge a lot for parts.Thats why i thort i'd buy the good gear myself and try and save a couple of bucks on parts and labour.

black as

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have 2 cars VZ sv8 6 litre and VU ute 5.7 litre
Do it yourself its not that hard, f#@& that paying $600.00:wax:

Dipz1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
hi mate just take your car down to repco or supercheap auto they will sort it out for you. I serviced my vy 2 day and it only cost me around $80 for oil and filter. If you wondering about service reminders you can find how to reset in you manul

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
go to holden, i buy all genuine parts so i know there the right ones, will cost you about $100-$150 for oil and filter(using mobile 1 or castrol edge 10w60/5w30, will need 5.5/5.7ltrs engine oil) $60-$80 for plugs (there about $8 each for denso's) and about $40-$60 for auto fluid and auto filter and pan gasket kit.

spark plugs for a gen3 are probably a bit expensive from holden but can get a set from Repco for about $40-$50 from memory.

so once you add in labour to do it all isn't too bad, but yeh if you want to save some money then farenough.

JUZDVS

242.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
sorry to hijack your thread but i'm thinking of doing my own service as well (VY SS Ute) but its just ticked over 100,000 so is there anything other than oil, filter and sparks plugs that I should be doing?

And last time I had it serviced my mechanic said it needed 7ltrs of oil does that sound right?

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
5.5-6ltrs should take but use a full synthetic, i know it costs a bit more but thats whats recomended from factory, i use castrol edge and factory is mobil. auto trans is at 100-110,000km's.
could do diff oil, but best for holden to do that, i'm a mechanic but i got holden to do the diff as they have an anti shudder kit for the diff.

so probably not, fuel filter if not done already, not sure when thats done though.

holdencple

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS 5.7L LS1
Around 100,000 you should change the oxygen sensors also.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Just do what the log book says to do and also if you do not know when the coolant and brake fluid was replaced do that as well. If it's had dealer servicing they will have a record of this. Go to Holden to get al the service parts the genuine parts are usually much cheaper. Nulon coolant may be a better option just flush the system and use the right one (red or green I think it's red for a V8). If you have not go the log book service information is on the web just google it.