Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Homemade Air filter with CAI

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Hey guys,
Im new to being a member here but have used your site for countless pieces of information so I thought I would join. Just bought a cold air intake from local holden dealer and have installed it, my next challenge is which air filter to buy. I was going to get a K&N but a guy form work told me to just make my own out of a wire frame and a stocking. Currently Im using a wire frame with 4 layers of stocking, and honestly I am impressed there is no restricition on air flow at all and it made a considerable difference to throttle response and acceleration. Also I have a backup plastic mesh covering the intake hose in the box above the filter in case the stocking flies off and tries to go straight into my engine. Now I know people say that dust and crap will get into my engine but I dont drive in dusty conditions, and cmon $85 for a K&N, I got my entire CAI setup for a mere $65. And the olnly difference between a stock air filter and a K&N is that K&N is high flow, but my stocking will be way more high flow. Just want to know what you guys think....

VSSECO

Underdog rebuild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS - 6 pots, 5 cogs
Sounds pretty good for a quick cheap gain, I probably wouldn't use it too long term though. Once the elastic in the stockings are shagged the fabric is going to fall to bits and not give you a lot of filtration.

Do you have any pics of your work? I guess if you made it well enough then you shouldnt have too many problems... if the stockings are fine enough to clean up dust from the air. Its probably a good idea to cover it with k&n filter oil to make sure that all the dirt sticks to it properly and it doesn't work its way though eventually.

VRV6BT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
S1 VR V6 BT1
Good idea with the stocking.

I used the how to and did some customisation.

I used the metal frame from the standard panel airfilter and the metal mesh from the ac delco unit.

I araldited the metal mesh into the frame and used three pieces of non-articulated foam from clark rubber.

And a piece of bent plastic coated coat hanger to retain the assembly.

I also use low weight machine oil between the 1st and second layers.

Basically no flow restriction, easy to clean and no chance of pulling through the system.

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Got Some Pics

Here some pictures of my engine bay and CAI with the homemade filter. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Pic_0101_059.jpg
    Pic_0101_059.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 1,217
  • Pic_0101_060.jpg
    Pic_0101_060.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,094
  • Pic_0101_061.jpg
    Pic_0101_061.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 788