Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Homemade CAI

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Sorry no pics but simple instructions for CAI that works 100% more effective than the crappy GM setup, and at around half the price too.

Go to a boat / marine retailer, buy a 40mm ID skin fitting, preferrably with a 90 deg bend on the fitting side.

BTW nothing less than 40mm is any chop.

Bung a hole through the air box and also the guard with a hole saw, fit the skin fitting in the air box and tighen it up gently with the nut that comes with it, now depending on if you bought one with a 90deg bend or not, at this point you may need to go get a 40mm ID 90 deg PVC bend, that is then glued on with sikaflex or whatever is handy.

Purchase enough of the same size ID hose so it will reach to the VS brake duct in the bumper, glue and clamp that sucker on real good, and add a couple of suitable size cable clamps so it is tight against the guard.

OK so far ?

Block off the original inlet to the air box with whatever means you desire, now add a bit of alloy flat so the input does not point directly at the filter, basically it's a simple deflector (2" above the inlet) that allows all the air filter to be used.

Basically your done, but if your a true petrol head and understand the basics of air density and combustion you will have purchased some rather poisonous asbestos tape and taped it over the air inlet (the corrugated black bit) and also glued on enough aluminium foil to insulate any heat coming off a rather hot ecotec engine, the result is well over 10 HP at anything over 30 mph and the best bit, 600 kms out of a tank on a trip, and a definite gain across the board at any speed.

Go to it. :D

Wacky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Sedan
What is this:

"... Go to a boat / marine retailer, buy a 40mm ID skin fitting ..."

What does the ID stand for?

any pics of what it looks like, say on google images?

EDIT: Okay, a bit more of a look by me indicates that it might be a silicon hose that is more flexible and tougher than rubber hose, used in marine, and "...offer superior temperature resistance which makes them ideal for cooling/heating and charged-air applications. They will last longer, perform better and will not deform under extreme conditions. An inexpensive and practical performance modification for all types of vehicles..."

I still don't know what ID stands for :(

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Try harder.

Wacky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Sedan
ID better not mean In Diameter ! lol

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
This is my home made job.

Attachments

• DSCN0704.JPG
    DSCN0704.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 388
  • DSCN0705.JPG
    DSCN0705.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 257
  • DSCN0702.JPG
    DSCN0702.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 436

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Nah just Inside Diameter, a fairly common measurement term used even in the lowest level of hardware store sales people, used when buying pipe, any kind of pipe, I guess OD would be the ? nah lets not go there too hard...

Flexible hose is just that, similar to either SS (stainless steel) or gal (galvanised) that while is flexible like corrugated hose except it has a smooth inside surface, costs the earth (lots of cash) but is available in sizes well over 1', sorry (1 foot) ID, bugger ther is that ID thing again.

BTW neat job that last one, did you have any HP improvement ?

deeranp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon
digisol said:
Bung a hole through the air box and also the guard with a hole saw

Serious? Cut a hole in the guard? Where exactly? And does this compromise structural integrity? I'm wary of any mod that involves cutting metal....

/DP

Wacky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Sedan
digisol said:
Nah just Inside Diameter, .....

I need a holiday...I'm so glad the "The sarcasam is free" ! :bang:

Thanks for the clarification... :thumbsup:

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
deeranp said:
Serious? Cut a hole in the guard? Where exactly? And does this compromise structural integrity? I'm wary of any mod that involves cutting metal....

/DP

Right under the box, but remove the washer bottle first. No structural integrity.

deeranp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon
holden007 said:
Right under the box, but remove the washer bottle first. No structural integrity.

Eeek. I read the "law with window washer bottle" thread, looks like there are a lot of things to take into consideration. I need to have a think about this before I start making mods like this....

Ah well, first things first, I need to clean my throttlebody this weekend first anyway. :whistling

Cheers and thanks,
DP