Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Homemade intake

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
what makes no sense?
You need turbulence thats why you see air ducts that are turbulent after the maf.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
what makes no sense?
You need turbulence thats why you see air ducts that are turbulent after the maf.

Do you believe hiclones work? Same principle.... The reason a lot of companies use the ribbed pipe is for 2 reasons. 1 it helps with routing being flexible and 2 due to the turbulence caused by the ripples it actually helps to quieten down the intake noise.

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Do you believe hiclones work? Same principle.... The reason a lot of companies use the ribbed pipe is for 2 reasons. 1 it helps with routing being flexible and 2 due to the turbulence caused by the ripples it actually helps to quieten down the intake noise.

Now that. Makes more sense. Hence when a smoother piped CAI is installed = increased induction noise.

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VS Executive 3.8L
as said above, the convoluting it to let the engine move under load with out pulling the pipe out thats why i used a stretchyer piece of silicone hose on one joint so the intake flex with the moters movement. with out it it just kept getting pulled apart. and those 'ducts' after the maf are to straiten out the air flow, to reduce turbulence. mine is very slightly less resposive since the 'ducts' were blown out by a particularly large gas backfire. the 'duct' actually punched a hole right through the front of my air box in that particular one lol. damn lpg

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
what makes no sense?

lol...

So apparently you know something more that that all those peolpe who do the GTS mafpipe upgrade and various other aftermarket part suppliers who set smooth pipes as upgrades.

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Maybe you guys can go explain to the tafe teachers your theory.
Done my trade and have been a tradesman for 10 years now.

This theory is valid on N/A

Ask your self this question why are golf balls not all smoothed they have all little holes all over them.
A golf ball that will be smooth all over wont travel as far a as the turbulent ball.
Thats all i have to say.

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Tell me then, Being in the industry myself, why a planes wings aren't ribbed.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Maybe you guys can go explain to the tafe teachers your theory.
Done my trade and have been a tradesman for 10 years now.

This theory is valid on N/A

Ask your self this question why are golf balls not all smoothed they have all little holes all over them.
A golf ball that will be smooth all over wont travel as far a as the turbulent ball.
Thats all i have to say.

Hmmm... i was going to ask myself that question, but then remembered I'm not retarded and I successfully finished high school.

My car doesn't play golf, nor an I intending on having it suck up gold balls.

FYI, yes, gold balls have dimples to cause turbulance around them and therefore fly further but unfortunately the same theory cannot be applied to intakes.

Completely different airflow principals apply.

I think I've said this in the past, just because you have been doing something doesn't mean you're good at it.

In the case of intakes, you want the pipes to be as smooth as possible to reduce turbulence.

Either way, it has absolutely nothing to do with air/fuel in the combustion chamber.

Turbulence is needed AFTER the fuel has been introduced and last I checked, fuel is not introduced into the intake pipe.

As wraith said, the reason the factory pipe is ribbed is because flexible, because it quietens the intake and one addition form me is that it prevents engine vibration causing stresses on intake components unnecessarily .

Last edited: