Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Homemade intake

Ryzie.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Commodore
That's a fair call. Holden designed an intake that was the cheapest to mass produce, has the lowest intake noise and is designed for a relatively sedate and controlled throttle response. I'm NOT interested in any of those things :) What I want from an intake is quite different from what Holden want to provide the masses...and that's fine because I'm not a car company trying to mass produce a product for the lowest overheads but a dude trying to get as much air into his engine as possible.

And I like it :)

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
That's a fair call. Holden designed an intake that was the cheapest to mass produce, has the lowest intake noise and is designed for a relatively sedate and controlled throttle response. I'm NOT interested in any of those things :) What I want from an intake is quite different from what Holden want to provide the masses...and that's fine because I'm not a car company trying to mass produce a product for the lowest overheads but a dude trying to get as much air into his engine as possible.

I've read all the comments thus far, but I think this pretty much nails it. Holden's stock intake serves Holden's purposes... cheap, quiet, and looks tidy when people who dont know what they are looking at in the show room decide to 'pop the hood'. Arguments that the ribbing somehow improves airflow are misguided. The ribbing is there because it provides rigidity and allows Holden to use thin cheap plastic that would otherwise kink or crack if completely smooth. Engine moves on its mounts, air intake is connected to rigid body panel. There is a lot of vibration and flex required from this pipe, but instead of having to use more expensive rubber hose they can use this ribbed crap. I believe definite improvements can be gained by using different materials such as OP has used. Improvement to airflow and induction noise are both desirable, but Holden are making a car to a price point... not to achieve every last Kw out of an engine at any price.

Very interesting read though, thanks to everyone for their contributions.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
The guy makes a move in the right direction and experiments and you bunch of girls have to discuss is the frigging golf ball dimples ! Spoilt arrogant whiners ! Good on a ya monkey dude !

YT will probably manufacture a piece of rubber hose for this purpose and charge 300 bucks and everyone will wee their pants....

ssv183

BAZINGA
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV CBR1000rr
After reading this thread i have decided to leave my car out in the next hail storm to get dimples on it, so it goes faster, however my bikes and my VCM OTR have smooth air intakes and that is how they are staying, despite what the TAFE lecturer sais!!!

Well done monkeyboy, looks good and you hase saved some money as well as having the self satisfaction of having made something that works.

and may baby jesus stop weeping.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
The guy makes a move in the right direction and experiments and you bunch of girls have to discuss is the frigging golf ball dimples ! Spoilt arrogant whiners ! Good on a ya monkey dude !

YT will probably manufacture a piece of rubber hose for this purpose and charge 300 bucks and everyone will wee their pants....

You've caught me in a good mood so I will just give you some advice.

I don't like being called a girl, spoilt, arrogant or the suggestion I will wee my pants at something.

I also don't like you pointlessly being negative towards one of the sites sponsors.

So, curb the attitude tiger because next time you may catch me BEFORE my coffee and I won't bother with advice.

Just an FYI, the discussion about golf ball dimples was to explain why the OP's setup will work WELL. It was an arguement in FAVOR of what the OP is done so next time and it's efficiency, read and understand before posting... anything... anywhere.

Cheers.

ssv183

BAZINGA
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV CBR1000rr
^^^^^^^^^^^^... thats some good advice.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG

I think you should re read the thread mate...

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
And that's some quality misreading.

thats some quality missing his edit.... He went from calling someone a "mong" to complimenting a different post